Author Posts

April 15, 2014 at 3:06 am

I am running the below command from my Windows 2008R2 Server

$ComputerName=Get-ADComputer -Filter *|SELECT -ExpandProperty name
Get-WmiObject win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $ComputerName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable $MyErrors| select PSComputerName,Caption,SerialNumber

The results only fetch me details from Windows Server Machines and Windows XP Machines. I do not get any output from my Windows 7 Machines although the WinRM Service is running on them. But strangely from over 100+ Windows 7 Machines in the network I get 2 Windows 7 Machines listed. All of the Windows 7 Machines except two fetch the RPC Server is unavailable error

What could be the starting point in trying to resolve this problem?

April 15, 2014 at 4:00 am

Attached is an extract of services running on 3 Windows 7 Professional PC's
Machine 1 and Machine 2 get listed when using above command; but Machine 3 does not get listed

April 15, 2014 at 4:03 am

The RPC Server unavailable message is nothing to do with the WinRM service. Get-WmiObject uses DCOM to communicate with remote machines NOT WSMan (WinRM)

The message means that either the DCOM service isn't running on the Windows 7 machines or that a firewall is configured that is preventing WMI/DCOM access. Check that DCOM is available and that any local firewalls aren't causing the problem

April 16, 2014 at 3:35 am

DCOM was running on the machines. But it was the Firewall creating the issue. I have created an exception for the specified Port and now everything is ok.
Thanks for putting me in the right direction

April 16, 2014 at 9:16 am

The firewall issues with DCOM is one reason that I'm moving to the CIM cmdlets wherever possible