Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Getting AD users from group and then build a path with every samAccountName

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 1

Hello

My goal here is to build script that deletes files in a folder in a users homedirectory

First I enumerate the users in an AD group and putting that in a variable.

$Userlist = Get-ADGroupMember -identity “Groupname” | select samAccountName

With that variable I run a ForEach and get a list of every users file in that particaular path

ForEach($samAccountName in $Userlist)
      {
      $userpath = “UNC-path”+$samAccountName

Get-ChildItem $userpath -Recurse
      }

The problem here is that the resulting path is wrong when I do a wrtie-host in the Foreach to see what happens

It looks like this:

\\UNC-path\@{samAccountName=username}

Why do I get  the @{samaccountname= in the path?

I tried a few different approaches but either get the above result or a path missing the username entirely.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 42
      Team MemberHelping Hand

The result of selecting a single property is an object with one property – if you output that, you’ll see something like

PS > [PSCustomObject]@{SamAccountName='jpruskin'}

SamAccountName
      --------------
      jpruskin

# If instead you expand the property, you will get the value within the property
      PS > [PSCustomObject]@{SamAccountName='jpruskin'} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty samaccountname
      jpruskin

You probably either want to reference the content of that property, or use -ExpandProperty to end up with just the strings in SamAccountName.

# So, either:
      $Userlist = Get-ADGroupMember -identity "Groupname" | Select samAccountName

ForEach($samAccountName in $Userlist) {
          $userpath = "UNC-path"+$samAccountName.SamAccountName

}

# Or...
      $Userlist = Get-ADGroupMember -Identity "Groupname" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty samAccountName

ForEach ($samAccountName in $Userlist) {
          $userpath = "UNC-path"+$samAccountName
      }
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 1

Thank you very much

Worked like a charm

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting AD users from group and then build a path with every samAccountName’ is closed to new replies.