Getting away from filter *

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Richard Diphoorn Richard Diphoorn 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Wei-Yen Tan
    Wei-Yen Tan
    Participant

I know the need to filter but this has always stumped me with a query like this where the properties does not exist in the default view. ie:

Get-Adcomputer -filter {$_.operatingsystem -like "*2012 R2*"} -properties operatingsystem 

This gives an error and I can understand why because properties is outside the filter scriptblock.

If I try :

Get-Adcomputer -filter {$_.operatingsystem -like "*2012 R2*"  -properties operatingsystem }

So now i can only resort to putting that in where-object.

Can I do this better and then comply with best practices?

Profile photo of Richard Diphoorn
    Richard Diphoorn
    Participant

These AD filters are always a challenge to get right. You are using the filter in the same way as with Where-Object. This doesn't work, because the AD Cmdlets take in a other filter format. Try this:

Get-ADComputer -Filter "OperatingSystem -like '*2012 R2*'" -Properties OperatingSystem

Profile photo of Wei-Yen Tan
    Wei-Yen Tan
    Participant

Thanks Richard!

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

This works for me

Get-ADComputer -Filter {OperatingSystem -eq 'Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard' } -Properties OperatingSystem | select Name, OperatingSystem

Profile photo of Richard Diphoorn
    Richard Diphoorn
    Participant

@Richard: What is the reason you use a scriptblock instead of a string for the filter parameter?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.