getting computer/ and user name

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jason Rojas
    Jason Rojas
    Participant

I have this little script which will provide me username and computer name

$computerlist = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | select -expand name
    icm -ComputerName $computerlist {Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem -ComputerName 'localhost' |select username, name | ft
    }

My result set looks like this

username : domain\user Name : TABLET-PC

Is there a way that I can include an exception to ignore computers that are off so I dont get a bloody mess on my screen , lol.

Profile photo of notarat
    notarat
    Participant

I suggest you try to use a for each loop to ping each machine prior to pulling the information.

That way, if the machine doesn't respond to the ping, you can skip it.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Depends on how "correct" you want to be with how you handle it. Ideally, you'd handle all of the errors, and only suppress the ones that involve a computer that can't be contacted, but still display any other errors that might be of interest to you. I don't have the exception type handy, but the code can look something like this:

# Use -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue and -ErrorVariable to temporarily suppress all non-terminating errors, and store them for later review in the $err collection.
    Invoke-Command -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable err -ComputerName $computerlist { Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem -ComputerName 'localhost' | select username, name | ft }

# Loop to output only the errors that you want to see.
    foreach ($record in $err)
    {
        if ($record.Exception -isnot [SomeExceptionTypeThatYouWantToIgnore])
        {
            Write-Error -ErrorRecord $record
        }
    }

Then there's the "sweep them all under the rug" approach... it's not really a good practice, but if you really don't care about the errors and just want to display the successful output, you can just add "-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue" to your call to Invoke-Command, and not bother to look at the errors later

Invoke-Command -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ComputerName $computerlist { Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem -ComputerName 'localhost' | select username, name | ft }

Jason Rojas
    Participant

thanks for your help all, I like the idea using the for-each cmdlet

I rewrote as foollows, am I in the ball park (i'm a newbie)

$computerlist = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | select -expand name | ForEach-Object {$pingme = Test-Connection -Quiet -count 1}
    if ($pingme -eq "true")
    {icm {Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem |select username, name | ft }}

else

{Write-Host "computer is offline"}

Dave Wyatt

You're on the right track, but your braces are in the wrong places. It helps to use a consistent style of indenting and line breaks when writing code, to make it easier to read. I've revised the code a bit. In particular, I moved the call to Format-Table out of the loop, and piped objects to it at the end. You might find that this produces cleaner output; give it a try:

Get-ADComputer -Filter * |
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty name |
    ForEach-Object {
        $computer = $_

$pingme = Test-Connection -ComputerName $computer -Quiet -count 1

if ($pingme -eq $true)
        {
            Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computer -ScriptBlock { Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem | Select-Object username, name }
        }
        else
        {
            Write-Host "computer '$computer' is offline"
        }
    } |
    Format-Table

Jason Rojas
    Participant

dave that is a beatiful looking output 🙂

I have a question regarding the variable you declared " $computer = $_"
    is that storing the values from get-adcomputers ?

Dave Wyatt

Basically, yes. When you use ForEach-Object, the current object is stored in the automatic $_ variable inside the -Process script block. (Normally, as in my example, this is the only script block passed to ForEach-Object, and it's passed by position, not name.)

Because the $_ automatic variable is used by all sorts of things, sometimes you can run into problems with it being "hijacked" by some other code inside the block (such as inside a Catch block, where $_ refers to the error that was caught.) For that reason, I'm in the habit of assigning the contents of $_ to another variable as the first statement in any ForEach-Object block. This way, the object will be stored in the $computer variable, regardless of what may happen with $_ later. It's not always absolutely required, but it's a good habit to have; you'll avoid some irritating bugs this way.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.