Getting Computer name, serial number and model of list of machines

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Olaf Soyk Olaf Soyk 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Errol
    Errol
    Participant

How can I get this script to show serial number as well as name and model in the output? Also I would like to output to Excel.
    Also, is using a txt file list the best way to input the list of PCs?

I am just getting my feet wet in PS Scripting so would love some assistance.

$computers = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt

Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $computers | select name,model
    Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $computers | select serialnumber

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

You will have to create an object and concatenate the output of your 2 commands. Then you can pipe that output to whatever you like / need. In my example here it's piped to a csv file what's almost perfect to open it in Excel. 😉

$computer = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt
    $Output = Foreach($C in $computer){
        $System = Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name,Model
        $BIOS = Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property SerialNumber
    	[PSCustomObject]@{
            ComputerName = $C
    		Name = $System.Name
    		Model = $System.Model
            SerialNumber = $BIOS.SerialNumber
    	}
    }
    $Output

$Output |Export-Csv -Path c:\pstest\Result.csv -NoTypeInformation

If you just have a simple list of items, a text file with a single item on each line is just fine.

Profile photo of Errol
    Errol
    Participant

That's brilliant, thanks, is there any way to get primary user for the list of devices generated in this script?

Profile photo of Bryan Hoffower
    Bryan Hoffower
    Participant

You could add on a line on 5 like:

$DomainUsers = Get-WmiObject Win32_NetworkLoginProfile -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name 

and then bring it in on 9/10 with:

Users = $DomainUsers.Name 

If not exactly what your looking for, Win32_NetworkLoginProfile seems to be close to what your seeking and should have an answer at least.

Profile photo of Errol
    Errol
    Participant

I settled on this using Configuration Manager. Though now I run into RPC server unavailable errors for some of the machines. Though that's a separate issue.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions. Powershell is a powerful tool that I am keen to learn.

if (-not (Get-Module ConfigurationManager)) 
     { 
     Write-Host “Loading Configuration Manager" 
    import-module ($Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH.Substring(0,$Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH.Length-5) + '\ConfigurationManager.psd1') 
     $PSD = Get-PSDrive -PSProvider CMSite 
     $SiteCode = $PSD.Name 
     CD “$($PSD):” 
    } 
    ELSE {Write-Host “Configuration Manager Already Loaded”}

$computer = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt
    $Output = Foreach($C in $computer){
        $System = Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name,Model
        $BIOS = Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property SerialNumber
    	$User = Get-CMUserDeviceAffinity -DeviceName $c | Select-Object -Property UniqueUserName
            [PSCustomObject]@{
                    ComputerName = $C
    		Name = $System.Name
    		Model = $System.Model
            SerialNumber = $BIOS.SerialNumber
            User = $User.UniqueUserName
    	}
    }
    $Output

$Output |Export-Csv -Path c:\pstest\Result.csv -NoTypeInformation

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

If you like to learn a little more about Powershell and spend some time you could take a look at this:
    MVA Advanced Tools and Scripting with Powershell 3.0 Jump Start
    When they come to the lession for error handling that fits almost prefectly to your RPC unavailable errors you mentioned. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.