Getting Data from XML

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Graham Beer Graham Beer 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

Hi,

I'm trying through WMI to get some software update information from the SCCM namespace. When i create the variable of $run through the below code, the area i'm interested in is "AssignedCIs". This is displayed in a XML format.

$Query = @{
    Namespace = 'root\ccm\policy\machine\actualconfig'
    ClassName = 'CCM_UpdateCIAssignment'
    }

$run = Get-CimInstance @query

$xml = $run.assignedCIs | ConvertTo-Xml -NoTypeInformation

So i convert the results as XML.

Here is what it looks like:

57d58fbe-1fcf-4a8e-80e2-f4879ed802df
    			Site_47A3BB0F-C21F-4658-926A-67657D06EC0B/SUM_57d58fbe-1fcf-4a8e-80e2-f4879ed802df

57d58fbe-1fcf-4a8e-80e2-f4879ed802df{47A3BB0F-C21F-4658-926A-67657D06EC0B}1384f5f325-30d7-41c4-81d1-87a0e6535
    b66

FALSE
    			Update for Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 (KB2553459) 64-Bit Edition
    			e6cf1350-c01b-414d-a61f-263d14d133b4

I want to pull out the Displayname details to start with. But i can't seem to get it right.

If i use the XML created variable, $XML.Objects.Object i can't select the displayname 'field'. It also puts the Objects.object into a system.string but step up to $XML.Objects and its an XMLElement. Could really do with some guidance please ! 🙂

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You'll need to create a gist with your XML stuff; our forum software treats it all like HTML tags and screws with the formatting.

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Just curious, what is the CIM call to SCCM returning? If it's a normal object, why not just get the data from it? Why convert it to XML first? I don't have an SCCM environment so I can't test.

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

The problem is the way the info is stored in wmi. It is a big string with several xml "declarations"

While it is possible to parse through it, I would ask if the information you want is somewhere else?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

ConvertTo-Xml isn't what you're after; that's for taking an object and making an XML representation of it, not the other way around. Instead, you'd just be taking a string and casting it to the [xml] type. Here's an example of what that might look like, from http://powershelldistrict.com/missing-software-updates-powershell/ :

Function Get-CMSoftwareUpdatesFromUpdateGroup{
        Param(
            [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$GroupName
        )
        $SofwareUpdateGroup = Get-CMSoftwareUpdateGroupAssignement -GroupName $GroupName
        $AssignedCIs = $SofwareUpdateGroup.AssignedCIs   

$AllFoundUpdates = @()
        foreach ($Update in $AssignedCIs){

$UpdateObj=[pscustomobject]@{"Article"="";"Id"="";"ModelName"="";"Version"="";"CIVersion"="";"ApplicabilityCondition"="";"EnforcementEnabled"="";"DisplayName"="";"UpdateClassification"=""}
                [xml]$Ux = $Update
               $UpdateObj.Article = $Ux.ci.DisplayName | Select-String -Pattern 'KB\d*' -AllMatches | % { $_.Matches } | % {$_.value}
               $UpdateObj.id = $ux.ci.id
               $UpdateObj.ModelName = $Ux.ci.ModelName
               $UpdateObj.Version = $ux.ci.version
               $UpdateObj.CIVersion = $ux.ci.civersion
               $UpdateObj.ApplicabilityCondition = $ux.ci.ApplicabilityCondition
               $UpdateObj.EnforcementEnabled = $ux.ci.EnforcementEnabled
               $UpdateObj.DisplayName = $Ux.ci.DisplayName
               $UpdateObj.UpdateClassification = $ux.ci.UpdateClassification

if ($UpdateObj -ne $null){
                $AllFoundUpdates += $UpdateObj
            }

}#end foreach

return $AllFoundUpdates
    }

Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

Thank you all, i will go back to it this morning.
    Thank you Dave, i'll have a play with what you've done. A useful peace of code and usage Dave, will help my learning !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.