Getting Dropdownbox/Combobox to align in PowerShell GUI

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lars Panzerbjørn 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Lars Panzerbjørn
    Participant

I am writing a GUI for our helpdesk, and everything is mostly great.
    However, my dropdown boxes refuse to move left regardless of where I well them to go.
    The function I wrote to create dropdown boxes:

Function Add-DropdownBox($DropdownBox,$DropDownHeight,$DropdownBoxLeft,$DropdownBoxTop,$DropdownBoxWidth,$DropdownBoxHeight,$FormObject)
    {
    	$DropdownBox				= New-Object System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox
    	$DropdownBox.Location		= New-Object System.Drawing.point($DropdownBoxLeft,$DropdownBoxTop)
    	$DropdownBox.Size			= New-Object System.Drawing.Size($DropdownBoxWidth,$DropdownBoxHeight)
    	$DropDownBox.DropDownHeight = $DropDownHeight
    	$FormObject.Controls.Add($DropdownBox)
    #	$DropdownBox
    }

The command I use to create them in the script:

$FolderShareDropdown1 = Add-DropdownBox -DropdownBox $FolderShareDropdown1 -DropDownHeight 200 $DropdownBoxLeft $CheckBoxAlignCol1 -DropdownBoxTop ($CheckBoxAlignRow+($TextboxHeight*1)) -DropdownBoxWidth ($TextBoxWidth*1.9) -DropdownBoxHeight $Textboxheight -FormObject $FolderShares

This is all on one line in my script.

Everything other than the leftmost position works fine, i.e. height changes, width changes and so on, when I change the variables. Just not the left most position.
    Other elements position themselves correctly based on the $CheckBoxAlignCol1 variable (TextBoxes/Checkboxes/Buttons), so the variable does "work".
    If I write out the full lines, for example:

$DropDownBox = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox
    $DropDownBox.Location = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(200,50) 
    $DropDownBox.Size = New-Object System.Drawing.Size(10,20) 
    $DropDownBox.DropDownHeight = 200 
    $FolderShares.Controls.Add($DropDownBox)

Then the dropdown box is positioned correctly, so I really can't see why the function doesn't work.

Any ideas anyone?

Rob Simmers
    Participant

Look at your command:

... -DropDownHeight 200 $DropdownBoxLeft $CheckBoxAlignCol1 ...

Should be -DropDownBoxLeft. Another recommendation is to use splatting to make things much cleaner and easier to read:

$params = @{
        DropdownBox       = $FolderShareDropdown1 
        DropDownHeight    = 200 
        DropdownBoxLeft   = $CheckBoxAlignCol1
        DropdownBoxTop    = ($CheckBoxAlignRow+($TextboxHeight*1)) 
        DropdownBoxWidth  = ($TextBoxWidth*1.9) 
        DropdownBoxHeight = $Textboxheight 
        FormObject        = $FolderShares
    }

$FolderShareDropdown1 = Add-DropdownBox @params

Lars Panzerbjørn
      Participant

Hah hah, thanks 🙂
      I must have stared myself blind at my code so I couldn't see something that obvious.

I use splatting in lots of places, but I can't see any value in using it here, since I might as well just put the needed lines into my code, which would take less space.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.