Grouping on part of Windows Event message text

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Grouping on part of Windows Event message text

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

Participant

Hello. Is it possible to group by part of the message content of Windows events?

Basically I would like to group on a certain property (Image) which is located in the event message of a number of Sysmon events. I tried using regex to group by 'Image (.*)\s' but that did not work as below:

Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable @{logname='Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational'} | group {$_.Message -like '*Image: (.*)\s*'}

Is there a way that I can I group on all combinations of "Image: " which are located in the event's message?

Team MemberHelping Hand

Might be worth mentioning – like isn't quite Regex. You seem to have a bit of a mix of regex and wildcard there – -like accepts '*' as a wildcard character. You could try using "-match '.*Image: (.*)\s*'", which may work?

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

Participant
    Helping Hand

I would first filter events with Where-Object and then the grouping would be easier to do

Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable @{logname='Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational'} |
        Where-Object Message -Match '.*Image: (.*)\s.*' |
        Group-Object -Property Message

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.