GUI "Defaults" vs "Properties"

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chad Chad 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Chad
    Chad
    Participant

I know this is silly but I'm customizing my console window, but I can't see the difference between Defaults and Properties. When I click the PowerShell icon in the top left of the window, the properties menus works for me, but the defaults menu doesn't seem to change anything. Thanks

Profile photo of Raymond Slieff
    Raymond Slieff
    Participant

When you change the Properties it is for the current window, when you change the Defaults sticks and any new windows should open with those settings.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Properties basically applies to a single shortcut. The PowerShell.exe shortcut that Windows gives you by default is what gets you the standard "white on blue" coloring, font, etc.

If you open a command prompt and instead type "start PowerShell.exe", you'll see the Default settings in action, which are closer to what you'd see on the old command prompt.

Profile photo of Chad
    Chad
    Participant

That is what is happening, changing the defaults does not change my pinned Powershell shortcut. Hitting the Start button, and typing powershell also accesses a shortcut, it isn't changed by "defaults" either. Thanks everyone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.