Author Posts

May 2, 2014 at 6:22 am

Hello,

II use a hash table capture the parameter inputs from the PowerShell $args variable and convert this hash table
to a custom object.

For some reason the code works fine only if I cast the data from the hash table to the screen first before I
convert the hash table to the custom object. If I did not cast the data of the hash table to the screen,
the custom object outputs only one item from the hash table. The code is listed below:

$cmdLine = $args
$hash = @{}
for ($i = 0; $i -lt $cmdLine.Count; $i++) {
$param = $cmdLine[$i]
$paramValue = $cmdLine[$i+1]
switch ($param) {
{($param -eq '-?') -or ($param -eq '/?')} {
$hash.Add('Help',$true)
}
{($param -eq '-u') -or ($param -eq '/u')} {
$hash.Add('Username',$paramValue)
}
{($param -eq '-f') -or ($param -eq '/f')} {
$hash.Add('Path',$paramValue)
}
}
}

# if the line below is commented out only one item is listed by the custom object
$hash

if ($hash.count -gt 0) {
New-Object –TypeName PSObject -Property $hash
}

Any comment or help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

May 2, 2014 at 6:56 am

What arguments are you passing to this code when you have problems?

And on a side note, why not just define a parameter block and let PowerShell handle all the parsing for you? That's one of the basic advantages to using PowerShell in the first place, as compared to old command-line utilities and scripts which had to do this sort of thing.

May 2, 2014 at 7:23 am

Dave,

Supposed I have the script saved as Get-Arguments.ps1. I launch the command below to get the folder path, user name, and help info.

.\Get-Arguments.ps1 -u account -f c:\test -?

I get the correct custom object output as shown below along with the output from the hash table when I had the $hash line active.

Name Value
—- —–
Username account
Path c:\test
Help True

Username : account
Path : c:\test
Help : True

However, once the $hash line is commented out, I only get only the Username property:

Username
——–
account

By the way, below is the output form $PSVersionTable:
Name Value
—- —–
PSVersion 4.0
WSManStackVersion 3.0
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
CLRVersion 4.0.30319.18408
BuildVersion 6.3.9600.16406
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.2

Thanks.

May 2, 2014 at 7:35 am

Odd. Your code works fine for me, with both the script and the command to call it copied and pasted from your posts. I'm also running PowerShell 4.0.

Here's how I would do it, eliminating the need to roll your own parsing code:

[CmdletBinding()]
param (
    [string]
    $Path,

[string]
    $UserName,

[switch]
    $Help
)

# If you want to convert the command-line arguments to an object for some reason at this point,
# the $PSBoundParameters variable is already a dictionary:

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $PSBoundParameters

On another side note, the -Help or /? switch isn't really in keeping with usual PowerShell practices; that's another old approach used for console applications. In PowerShell, I would instead define a comment-based help block for your script or function, and users would call Get-Help on that command when they need to.

May 2, 2014 at 8:01 am

The parameter block you suggested works fine with the plain .ps1 file. However, when the script is packaged by a script editor
like PrimalScript or other script editors, it does not work.

That was the reason why I had resort to the old $args PowerShell variable.

By the way, when I tried to use the $PSBoundParameters variable in my script, I got no output.
What Operating System are you running this under?

May 2, 2014 at 8:13 am

Never mind for my comment about $PSBoundParameters. The code below works, but again only one output from the
command line even if I entered the command line as Get-Arguments.ps1 -username account -path c:\test.

UserName
——–
account

[CmdletBinding()]
param (
[string]
$Path,
[string]
$UserName,
[switch]
$Help
)
New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $PSBoundParameters

May 2, 2014 at 8:29 am

If you're using some tool to package the script to exe, or something like that, you'll probably have to contact the vendor for that tool. I've only done that once, at a customer's request, and I forget which tool they used. I do remember that an extra command-line argument had to be used when running the packaged version (something like MyPackagedScript.exe -Arguments -UserName account -Path c:\path -Help . Everything after -Arguments was passed to the underlying script after it was extracted.)