Help comparing strings in csv

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jesse 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jesse
    Participant

I am trying to compare values within a csv. I am taking a csv with device id,description, and location importing the csv then pulling computer description from active directory. I want to compare the 2 descriptions. I am having difficulty with the compare part. The comparison results evaluate to False without exception for both identical and non-identical strings. Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?

$LDDes = Import-Csv -Path 'somefilepath'

$LDDes | Select-Object 'Device Name','Description',@{Name="AD Description";Expression={$_.'Device Name' | get-adcomputer -Properties Description | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Description}},'Computer Location',@{Name='Match';Expression={$_.Description -eq $_.'AD Desription'}}

Olaf Soyk
    Participant

you could try it like this:

$LDDes | ForEach-Object {
        $ADDes = Get-ADComputer -Identity $_.'Device Name' -Properties Description
        [PSCustomObject]=@{
            'Device Name' = $_.'Device Name'
            'Computer Location' = $_.'Computer Location'
            'Description' = $_.'Description'
            'AD Description' = $ADDes.Description
            'Match' = $_.'Description' -eq $ADDes.Description
        }
    }

(untested)

Aaron Hardy
    Participant

I am on the PowerShell journey myself but here is a suggestion for performance.

You could pipe to ForEach-Object as Olaf illustrates (which can get the job done) – I do use this when needed. If you're having to process many objects, I would opt for the foreach construct instead.

When using ForEach-Object, each object is generated from the collection, individually, before entering the pipeline, then processed. Multiply this by hundreds or thousands of objects, and it will take a long time.

Generate, process. Generate, process. etc.

When using the foreach construct, all the objects in the collection are generated only once and then processed one at a time. This can be a much faster operation without the overhead of generating individual objects before processing them.

Generate. Process. Process. Process.

Jesse
    Participant

Thanks guys, much appreciated. This worked perfectly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.