help does not work in the function

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A help does not work in the function

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 68

I have created a function with the [cmdletbinding()] attribute, however when I run

help <name of the function> it does not return the help on the function. However the function works fine when I run it with the specified parameters.

and when I use help <name of the function> it is listed twice in the drop down menu. Any suggestions on this?

Participant
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 2458
      Helping Hand

Hmmm … please be honest: Do you really think you provided enough information for us to be able to help you? 😉 😀 Please provide more detailed information.

Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 54
      Helping Hand

Write it like this and show us

Participant
      Helping Hand

Hmmm … I recommend to read The PowerShell Best Practices and Style Guide – especially the chapter about Code Layout & Formatting and there particularily the paragraph about Indentation! 😉 😀

Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 54
      Helping Hand

Hmmm … I recommend to read The PowerShell Best Practices and Style Guide – especially the chapter about Code Layout & Formatting and there particularily the paragraph about Indentation! 😉 😀

thats the site 🙂

my editor works like a charm 🙂

Participant
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 68

I fixed one part of the issue. I deleted the Module folder and recreated it. It is under Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Get-Test\Get-Test.psm1

Now if I type help Get-Test, it shows the help. However still when I run help Get-T I see all the functions which start with Get-T and I see two listing for Get-Test, the first command works fine. However when I select the second Get-Test in the list, it types the below in the console.

help Get-Test\Get-Test

and when I run it, it returns an error saying Get-help: Get-help could not find Get-Test\Get-Test in a help file in this session.

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1309
      Helping Hand

Are you still using the PowerShell console session you opened before. Try opening a new console.

Participant
      Helping Hand

thats the site … my editor works like a charm

OK, so how do you think others do it here in this forum? 😉 … I’ll show you what I mean:

I’d say: No, it’s not the site. 😉 😀

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘help does not work in the function’ is closed to new replies.