Help Parsing XML file

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chris Cass 5 months ago.

• Author

Chris Cass
    Participant

Wondering if someone can assist in my first attempt to parse an xml file.

The file is formatted as (apologies for the welfare xml format – I can't figure out how to get it to show up:

-factory
    -customization
    -userServices
    -add key="Imaging.Viewer.Remote1" assembly="OpenContent.Platform.Imaging.dll" class="OpenContent.Imaging.Services.ViewerASMXProxy"
    -parameter name="initializationKey" class="string" value="Imaging.Viewer.Remote1" —
    -parameter name="url" class="string" value="https://hostname1.domain.net/WebSite/Viewer/ViewerASMX.asmx" —
    –add
    –userServices
    –customization
    –factory

My end goal is to make a list of all the URL's listed on the URL class line. The "parameter name="url" class="string" value=" is used in other nodes as places within the customization node as well, so I need to limit it to just the one's on a key -like "*Imaging.Viewer.Remote*"

I'm not all that fluent in PowerShell or XML, but here's what I've tried so far:

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\Internal Testing\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add.name | % {$_.value -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }
    $userservices

This returns a list filled with just the word "False" repeated over and over. I thought I'd comment out the pipe section of it, but that just gives me the word "Add" over and over again. I'm probably missing something, but thinking I need to conquer this portion of it, then narrow down for each result to find the URL. Any thoughts?

Chris Cass
    Participant

Okay, I've gotten a little further... I've found that

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add 
    $userservices

returns a list organized by key, assembly, class, and parameter. If I change it to:

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | % {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }
    $userservices

I get true/false statements saying whether or not this value matches... How do I create a variable for a key like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" and a parameter like "*URL*" together?

Chris Cass
    Participant

Almost there... I've now got the childnodes showing the name, class, and value... I can actually see the URL I want to show...

$FormatEnumerationLimit = 80
    [xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $renderParam = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | where-object {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }# | select-object parameter 
    $renderparam | select-object -ExpandProperty childnodes

Last part is showing just the URL value. The one thing that's constant in this value among all of our customers is the *website/viewer/viewerasmx* so I'm trying to figure out how to filter for that... I attempted this:

$FormatEnumerationLimit = 80
    [xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $renderParam = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | where-object {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }# | select-object parameter 
    $RenderURL = $renderparam | select-object -ExpandProperty childnodes
    $renderURL | select-object value -like "*webaccess/viewer/viewerasmx*"

but it just gave me this error:

Select-Object : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'like'.
    At line:7 char:34
    + $renderURL | select-object value -like "*webaccess/viewer/viewerasmx* ...
    + ~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Select-Object], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SelectObjectCommand

Chris Cass
    Participant

Got it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.