Help Parsing XML file

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Cass Chris Cass 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Chris Cass
    Chris Cass
    Participant

Wondering if someone can assist in my first attempt to parse an xml file.

The file is formatted as (apologies for the welfare xml format – I can't figure out how to get it to show up:

-factory
    -customization
    -userServices
    -add key="Imaging.Viewer.Remote1" assembly="OpenContent.Platform.Imaging.dll" class="OpenContent.Imaging.Services.ViewerASMXProxy"
    -parameter name="initializationKey" class="string" value="Imaging.Viewer.Remote1" —
    -parameter name="url" class="string" value="https://hostname1.domain.net/WebSite/Viewer/ViewerASMX.asmx" —
    –add
    –userServices
    –customization
    –factory

My end goal is to make a list of all the URL's listed on the URL class line. The "parameter name="url" class="string" value=" is used in other nodes as places within the customization node as well, so I need to limit it to just the one's on a key -like "*Imaging.Viewer.Remote*"

I'm not all that fluent in PowerShell or XML, but here's what I've tried so far:

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\Internal Testing\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add.name | % {$_.value -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }
    $userservices

This returns a list filled with just the word "False" repeated over and over. I thought I'd comment out the pipe section of it, but that just gives me the word "Add" over and over again. I'm probably missing something, but thinking I need to conquer this portion of it, then narrow down for each result to find the URL. Any thoughts?

Chris Cass
    Participant

Okay, I've gotten a little further... I've found that

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add 
    $userservices

returns a list organized by key, assembly, class, and parameter. If I change it to:

[xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $userServices = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | % {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }
    $userservices

I get true/false statements saying whether or not this value matches... How do I create a variable for a key like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" and a parameter like "*URL*" together?

Chris Cass
    Participant

Almost there... I've now got the childnodes showing the name, class, and value... I can actually see the URL I want to show...

$FormatEnumerationLimit = 80
    [xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $renderParam = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | where-object {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }# | select-object parameter 
    $renderparam | select-object -ExpandProperty childnodes

Last part is showing just the URL value. The one thing that's constant in this value among all of our customers is the *website/viewer/viewerasmx* so I'm trying to figure out how to filter for that... I attempted this:

$FormatEnumerationLimit = 80
    [xml]$ServiceFact = gc "C:\Logs\ServiceFactoryConfiguration.xml"
    $renderParam = $ServiceFact.factory.customization.userservices.add | where-object {$_.key -like "*imaging.viewer.remote*" }# | select-object parameter 
    $RenderURL = $renderparam | select-object -ExpandProperty childnodes
    $renderURL | select-object value -like "*webaccess/viewer/viewerasmx*"

but it just gave me this error:

Select-Object : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'like'.
    At line:7 char:34
    + $renderURL | select-object value -like "*webaccess/viewer/viewerasmx* ...
    + ~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Select-Object], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SelectObjectCommand

Chris Cass
    Participant

Got it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.