Help Simplifying Code

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tim Blough Tim Blough 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tim Blough
    Tim Blough
    Participant

I'm new to scripting and am attempting to create a sript that will process data from a csv file into variables that I can use to automatically create users in Active Directory. The file contains a grade level that must be converted to graduation year to be used in proper nameing of the user account and the proper placement of the the user account into the OUs in Active Directory.

Currently, the code written will read the csv file 4 times (12 times if completed this way). This seems like a lot of overhead. Being able to reference the grade level to graduating class in the lines would really be helpful but the order of syntax is eluding me.

Graduation years will remain the same for users but the grade changes every year. I don't want to have to change 24+ lines of code every school year (that's just asking for a problem). I thought I could reference a hash table inline to make appropriate changes and also limit the number of reads from the csv file.

######################################
    ## Create, Disable Student Accounts ##
    ##   from file imported from DASL   ##

# Change Current School Year
    $currentYear = 2014

##Build grade_code to ClassOf table
    $Classof =@{
        "12" = $currentYear++
        "11" = $currentYear++
        "10" = $currentYear++
        "9" = $currentYear++
        "8" = $currentYear++
        "7" = $currentYear++
        "6" = $currentYear++
        "5" = $currentYear++
        "4" = $currentYear++
        "3" = $currentYear++
        }

##Import Student Data, Removing apostrophies and hypens from certain fields. 
    ##Description changed based on graduation Year
    $AllStudents = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv
    $2014Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv | Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "12"} |
            Select student_code,last_name,first_name,grade_code, 
            @{n='DisplayName';e={$_.last_name  + ", " + $_.first_name}},
            @{n='loginName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","")}}, 
            @{n='email';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "@school.org"}}, 
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2014 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
            @{n='sAMAccountName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","")}},
            @{n='Title';e={"Student"}}
    $2015Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "11"} |
            @{n='loginName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","")}}, 
            @{n='email';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "@school.org"}}, 
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2015 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
            @{n='sAMAccountName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("backtick'","")}},
    $2016Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "10"} |
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2016 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
    $2017Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "9"} |
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2017 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},

##  AND 8 MORE GRADES AFTER THE LAST ONE ABOVE

$2014Students | Export-Csv C:\StuGroups\2014Students.csv -NoTypeInformation
    $2015Students | Export-Csv C:\StuGroups\2015Students.csv -NoTypeInformation
    $Classof
    #Write-Output $2016Students.count
    #Write-Output $2017Students.count

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That code is formatted very oddly in the forums. It might help if you save a copy of it with a .txt extension and attach it instead. (Don't try to attach it as .ps1; it'll get blocked.)

Also, a quick plain-English explanation of what the code is supposed to do will be helpful. Examples of the input and output CSV formats could also help, without having to read through all of those constructed properties and .Replace() stuff.

Tim Blough
    Participant

I was fixing the back ticks as you were reading the post.

This is just the start of the code that will import student information from a csv file, clean up the data, create new fields for user creation in Active Directory.

The csv files I have are filled with a ton of personal information. I'll do my best to create a file filled with generic info.

Tim Blough
    Participant

attaceded students. file.

Dave Wyatt

Below I've pasted what I think your original code was supposed to look like. Please look it over (via the website; in an email, you may see all sorts of HTML escape sequences), and let me know if it looks correct.

From what I can see here, you have a "grade_code" which associated with a year. 2014 = 12, 2015 = 11, etc. Does this association of codes change from year to year? What happens when you get down to 0 and negative numbers for 2026 / 2027?

You're splitting the source CSV file into multiple new CSV files by year, with some transformation of the data happening as well.

It should be pretty straightforward to make this more generic and clean, once I understand how the $classof table is going to look each year. Right now, you have this:

12 = 2014
    11 = 2015
    10 = 2016
    9 = 2017
    ..etc

What will this table look like in 2015, 2016, and so on? Once I understand that, I can suggest some changes.

$currentYear = 2014

$Classof =@{
        "12" = $currentYear++
        "11" = $currentYear++
        "10" = $currentYear++
        "9" = $currentYear++
        "8" = $currentYear++
        "7" = $currentYear++
        "6" = $currentYear++
        "5" = $currentYear++
        "4" = $currentYear++
        "3" = $currentYear++
        }

$AllStudents = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv
    $2014Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv | Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "12"} |
            @{n='loginName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","")}}, 
            @{n='email';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "@school.org"}}, 
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2014 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
            @{n='sAMAccountName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","")}},
    $2015Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "11"} |
            @{n='loginName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","")}}, 
            @{n='email';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "@school.org"}}, 
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2015 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
            @{n='sAMAccountName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("`'","")}},
    $2016Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "10"} |
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2016 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},
    $2017Students = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq "9"} |
            @{n='description';e={"Class of 2017 Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},

##  AND 8 MORE GRADES AFTER THE LAST ONE ABOVE

$2014Students | Export-Csv C:\StuGroups\2014Students.csv -NoTypeInformation
    $2015Students | Export-Csv C:\StuGroups\2015Students.csv -NoTypeInformation
    $Classof
    #Write-Output $2016Students.count
    #Write-Output $2017Students.count

Tim Blough
    Participant

In 2015, I'll change the current year to 2015 and then:
    12 = 2015
    11 = 2016
    10 = 2017
    9 = 2018
    etc.

I just cant figure out how to call the array and return results while the files is being piped through. Will I need to drop pipes and use a foreach?

Tim Blough
    Participant

A little more clarification I should have added. This script is for a U.S. k-12 School.

Our Active Directory Structure is built upon students being placed in OUs named by their graduation years, that way we need only move one OU from building to building as the student progresses through our district. When the seniors graduate, we simply delete the OU for the school year that just ended. Likewise, we create a new OU each year for the new kindergarten class (well, actually we start their AD accounts at grade 3).

Once I learn how to reference the $Classof table in the lines of script importing the students, I can remove the redundancy of creating a csv file for each graduation class, Cutting the number of import-csv's down to one and reducing the overall script length down tremendously.

Dave Wyatt

I see. Try this, as a starting point. It cuts way down on duplicate code by doing lookups into your $classof table, and using Group-Object to generate the separate CSV files by year at the end:

$currentYear = 2014

$Classof = @{
        "12" = $currentYear++
        "11" = $currentYear++
        "10" = $currentYear++
        "9" = $currentYear++
        "8" = $currentYear++
        "7" = $currentYear++
        "6" = $currentYear++
        "5" = $currentYear++
        "4" = $currentYear++
        "3" = $currentYear++
    }

$AllStudents = import-csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv |
                    @{n='loginName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("'","")}}, 
                    @{n='email';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("'","") + "@school.org"}}, 
                    @{n='description';e={"Class of $($Classof[$_.grade_code]) Student ID :$($_.student_code)"}},
                    @{n='sAMAccountName';e={$_.last_name.replace("-","").replace("'","") + "." + $_.first_name.replace("-","").replace("'","")}},

$AllStudents |
    Group-Object -Property grade_code |
    ForEach-Object {
        $groupInfo = $_
        $year = $Classof[$groupInfo.Name]
        $groupInfo.Group | Export-Csv -Path "C:\StuGroups\${year}Students.csv" -NoTypeInformation
    }

Tim Blough
      Participant

Wow.

You guys are a great help.
      I have it working using Dave's suggestion. $($Classof[$_.grade_code]) was the syntax I was looking for. Why do I need the $ before the parenthesis? I was tying curly brackets I wish I could attend a course on this.

Daniel, I'd like to try yours as well but I'm definitely needing to build on my Power Shell knowledge.
      I see the logic in calling the loop and running through on each grade, but how to I append the results into one file or object?

Thanks for you help. Now onto the actual creation of Active Directory objects. This stuff is fun.

Dave Wyatt

$() is the subexpression operator. It's most commonly used when you want to embed an expression into a double-quoted string (as opposed to just expanding a simple variable within the string). You can see this in action (and the need for it) by running the following example code:

$myVariable = 5

"My Variable = $myVariable"
    "My Variable + 5 = $myVariable + 5"
    "My Variable + 5 = $($myVariable + 5)"

Expressions can be basically any valid PowerShell command. Math like that example, indexing into an array or hashtable, accessing a property of a variable such as $($myVariable.SomeProperty), calling a cmdlet, you name it. For readability, try to keep them short; when in doubt, run the expression beforehand and assign the result to a variable, then use the variable inside the expanded string. This isn't really an option when using Select-Object the way your code does, but since the expression is short and readable, it doesn't really matter.

If you prefer, you could also have used the + operator for string concatenation:

@{n='description';e={"Class of " + $Classof[$_.grade_code] + " Student ID :" + $_.student_code}},

That's a habit I try to avoid, since string concatenation can be very slow, for large values. For really short strings like this, though, you'd never notice the difference.

Profile photo of Rob Campbell
    Rob Campbell
    Participant

That string construction seems a little tortured. I'd suggest;

@{n='loginName';e={('{0}.{1}' -f $_.last_name,$_.first_name).replace("-'","")}},
    @{n='email';e={('{0}.{1}@school.org' -f $_.last_name,$_.first_name).replace("-'","")}}

Tim Blough
      Participant

Rob,
      I'll take the suggestion. I just need to wrap my head around what is happening there.
      I'm guessing that {0}.{1} is placeholders for the values being assigned later? what is -f doing?

Profile photo of Martin Nielsen
    Martin Nielsen
    Participant

I took the liberty of doing away with the middle part and making it look a bit more pretty.

$AllStudentsCsv = Import-Csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv
    $AllStudents = @()
    foreach($student in $AllStudentsCsv) {
    # Let's not waste CPU cycles and screen space doing the same thing over and over
    $firstNameFiltered = $student.first_name.Replace("-","").Replace("'","")
    $lastNameFiltered = $student.last_name.Replace("-","").Replace("'","")
    # More string formatting, less piecing bits of string together
    $AllStudents += New-Object PSObject -Property @{
    'DisplayName' = "{0}, {1}" -f $student.last_name, $student.first_name
    'loginName' = "{0}.{1}" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
    'email' = "{0}.{1}@school.org" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
    'description' = "Class of {0} Student ID: {1}" -f $Classof[$student.grade_code], $student.student_code
    'sAMAccountName' = "{0}.{1}" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
    'Title' = 'Student'
    }
    }

Martin Nielsen
    Participant

I didn't quite believe you so I ran 1000 iterations of 10 sample users to see for myself.

Turns out my method is faster by 400ms than the string replace method, but your way beats mine by 600ms.

I wasn't aware that $variable = foreach() {} was even valid. If I had given it more thought I might have ended up putting the foreach inside of a scriptblock, but that's probably the best I would've come up with.

Tim Blough
    Participant

You guys rock!

Tim Blough
    Participant

O.k. So if I wanted to filter out Kindergarten through Grade 2. I would think I could do this:
    $AllStudentsCsv = Import-Csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv | Where-Object {$_.grade_code -ne "KG" -or $_.grade_code -ne "1" -or $_.grade_code -ne "2"}

They still show up.

Dave Wyatt

You would need to change those -or operators to -and, but otherwise it looks good.

Martin Nielsen
    Participant

Why don't we go completely crazy and access the IEnumerable.Where() function instead?

$students = @(Import-Csv 'C:\StuGroups\Students.csv').Where({ $_.grade_code -NotIn 'KG','1','2' })

Dave Wyatt

That only works on PowerShell 4.0 or later. Strictly speaking, it's not the .NET IEnumerable.Where() method, though the syntax does look similar.

Martin Nielsen
    Participant

I kind of just assumed the PowerShell guys had half-way implemented some kind of not-quite-LINQ functionality, and I was sort of dreaming that they'd keep working on it and do the whole PowerShell LINQ deal in the coming versions. That's what I get for assuming.

I did however find this post saying that it is technically possible to squeeze the method into PowerShell 3 ( http://www.powershellmagazine.com/2013/07/05/pstip-powershell-4-filtering-a-collection-by-using-a-method-syntax/ ).

Rob Campbell
    Participant

If you're not careful you can find yourself spending an hour trying to squeeze another 100ms out of a script that might only run 10 times in production before it's obsolete.

Tim Blough
    Participant

I had a "duh" moment. The student file had building codes in it and it so happens that KG through 3rd Grade are house in a particular building. So this worked out just fine.
    Import-Csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv | Where-Object {$_.school_code -ne "TADU"}

Next problem: I'm going to be running into the 20 character limit issue assigning the sAMAcountName. The script did not assign any value, when the string was less than 20 characters, when I tried to do a substring(0.20) on the value before cleaning up the code. Is there another way of grabbing the first 20 characters other than .substring?

$loginName = ($lastNameFiltered + "." + $firstNameFiltered).Substring(0.20)

Tim Blough
    Participant

Argh. It was all working fine with the changes. I was working on another script and when I came back to this one I receive this:
    Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    At C:\StuGroups\StudentAccounts.ps1:49 char:5
    + New-Object PSObject -Property @{
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [], IndexOutOfRangeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IndexOutOfRangeException

Current Script with backticks removed.

$currentYear = 2014
    $Classof =@{
        "23" = "23" #special education code
        "12" = $currentYear++
        "11" = $currentYear++
        "10" = $currentYear++
        "9" = $currentYear
        "09" = $currentYear++
        "8" = $currentYear
        "08" = $currentYear++
        "7" = $currentYear
        "07" = $currentYear++
        "6" = $currentYear
        "06" = $currentYear++
        "5" = $currentYear
        "05" = $currentYear++
        "4" = $currentYear
        "04" = $currentYear++
        "3" = $currentYear
        "03" = $currentYear++

}
    ##Build school_code to AD OU table
    $Bldng = @{
        "TAHS" = "THS"
        "TAMS" = "TMS"
        "TAMU" = "MUN"
        }
    $BldngName = @{
        "TAHS" = "City High School"
        "TAMS" = "City Middle School"
        "TAMU" = "City Elementary School"
        }
    $AllStudentsCsv = Import-Csv C:\StuGroups\Students.csv | Where-Object {$_.school_code -ne "TADU"}
    $AllStudents = foreach($student in $AllStudentsCsv) {
        # Let's not waste CPU cycles and screen space doing the same thing over and over
        $firstNameFiltered = $student.first_name.Replace("-","").Replace(".","").Replace("-","")
        $lastNameFiltered = $student.last_name.Replace("-","").Replace("-","")
        $password = ($student.student_code + $firstNameFiltered + $firstNameFiltered).Substring(0,8)
        $loginName = ($lastNameFiltered + "." + $firstNameFiltered).Substring(0.20)
        New-Object PSObject -Property @{
            'first_name' = "{0}" -f $student.first_name
            'last_name' = "{0}" -f $student.last_name
            'StudentID' = "{0}" -f $student.student_code
            'loginName' = ($lastNameFiltered + "." + $firstNameFiltered)[0..19] -join ''
            'email' = "{0}.{1}@stu.cityschools.org" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
            'description' = "Class of {0} Student ID: {1}" -f $Classof[$student.grade_code], $student.student_code
            'grade' = "{0}" -f $student.grade_code
            'Title' = 'Student'
            'Password' = "{0}" -f $password
            'Bldng' = "{0}" -f $Bldng[$student.school_code]
            'Path' = "OU={0},ou=students,OU=Users,OU={1},OU=Test" -f $Classof[$student.grade_code],$Bldng[$student.school_code]
            'userPrincipalName' = "{0}.{1}@CitySchools.local" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
            'Department' = "{0}" -f $BldngName[$student.school_code]
            'Office' = "{0}" -f $Classof[$student.grade_code]
            'Implement' = "yes"
        }
    }
    $Allstudents | Export-Csv C:\StuGroups\AllStudents.csv -NoTypeInformation
    ## Call create_ad_users.ps1 to create accounts

Tim Blough
    Participant

I removed lines within the New-Object PsObject -Property @{ ..... the culprit was the loginName line.
    I have another .ps1 that references it's own $loginName variable. Could that have been gumming up the works?
    When I close and reopen the ISE. It works.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Tim,

You'll definitely need to use a loop construct like foreach to simplify your code. Please check out below example for ideas.

$Year = 2014
    $AllStudents = Import-Csv -Path C:\StuGroups\Students.csv
    foreach ($grade in (12..3))
    {
    $AllStudents | Where-Object {$_.grade_code -eq $grade} | Select-Object ....
    $Year++
    }

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Tim,

-f is the PowerShell Format operator. Which is quite nice way to build strings with dynamic values.

From about_Operators (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh847732.aspx)

-f Format operator
    Formats strings by using the format method of string
    objects. Enter the format string on the left side of the operator
    and the objects to be formatted on the right side of the operator.

C:\PS> "{0} {1,-10} {2:N}" -f 1,"hello",[math]::pi
    1 hello 3.14

For more information, see the String.Format method
    (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166450) and
    Composite Formatting (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166451).

Rob Campbell
    Participant

That array addition is probably costing you more cpu than you saved by eliminating the string replace method calls.

If you're going to do that, do it this way:

$AllStudents = 
    foreach($student in $AllStudentsCsv) {
        $firstNameFiltered = $student.first_name.Replace("-","").Replace("'","")
        $lastNameFiltered = $student.last_name.Replace("-","").Replace("'","")
        New-Object PSObject -Property @{
            'loginName' = "{0}.{1}" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
            'email' = "{0}.{1}@school.org" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
            'sAMAccountName' = "{0}.{1}" -f $lastNameFiltered, $firstNameFiltered
            'Title' = 'Student'
        }
    }

Rob Campbell
    Participant

See this:

Array and string concatenations are relatively "expensive" operations, and should be avoided inside a loop. I see very few instances where it's being done that can't be implemented by simply using the pipeline. In cases where the pipeline is already being used and the accumulation is incidental to the pipeline output, using a stringbuilder for string concatenations, and arraylists instead of arrays are usually much better solutions from a performance standpoint.

Rob Campbell
    Participant

You can use array slicing on the string

$loginName = ($lastNameFiltered + “.” + $firstNameFiltered)[0..19] -join ''

That will produce the same result, but doesn't fuss if the string is less than 20 characters.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.