Help with a ForEach

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Help with a ForEach

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

I have a csv of a list of SamAccountNames.  Several of these users have a blank EmailAddress Property.  This is my code:

$Users = Import-Csv "C:\Users.csv"

foreach ( $User in $Users ) {
    Get-ADUser -Properties * -Identity $User.SamAccountName | Where { $_.EmailAddress -eq $Null } | Select Name, SamAccountName | Export-Csv C:\Users\a033904\Documents\DeptNoEmail.csv }

If I remove the Export-Csv part and run it I get the desired results I need but with the Export-Csv in the Csv all I get is the last user of the imported Csv.  Does that make sense to you?  I don't quite understand what is wrong.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Participant
    Helping Hand

You have 2 options. Either you add the parameter -Append to your Export-CSV – but that slows down your code a lot – or you place your Export-CSV outside of your loop.

Team MemberHelping Hand

$Users | ForEach-Object -Begin {
    $output=@()
    } -Process {
    $output += Get-ADUser -Identity $_.samaccountname | Select-Object Name, SamAccountName
    } -End {
    $output | Export-Csv C:\temp\DeptNoEmail1.csv -NoTypeInformation
    }

Participant
    Helping Hand

You are recreating the Csv in the Export-Csv PowerShell cmdlet within the ForEach loop. It is overwritten each loop.

If you take it outside the loop, it can contain all user objects.

$UserObjects = foreach ($User in $Users) {
        Get-ADUser -Properties * -Identity $User.SamAccountName | 
            Where-Object { $_.EmailAddress -eq $null } | 
            Select-Object Name, SamAccountName 
    }

$UserObjects | Export-Csv C:\Users\a033904\Documents\DeptNoEmail.csv

Participant

Thank you everyone for the help.  Coming into work this morning my mind was not so scrambled trying to figure this out.  This is what I ended up using.

Get-Content C:\Powershell\Scripts\O365\Migration\DeptUsers.txt | Get-ADUser -Properties * | Where { $_.EmailAddress -eq $Null } | Select Name, EmailAddress | Export-Csv C:\NoEmail.csv -NotypeInformation

Powershell can be a love hate relationship, but I have to say I do enjoy working through the problems.

Rich

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.