Help with adding a script method (and quite possibly the code of the method)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sam Boutros Sam Boutros 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of stephenmbell
    stephenmbell
    Participant

Hello all..

I am in the middle of writing a script to export my active directory (OU, user, computer, group) to a csv file and import it into another domain for some testing. I have been working on this all day, so I may be in the weeds instead of noticing the wide open field right in front of me – hopefully you can help.

A simplified version of my export script..

$ou = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter * | select -Property distinguishedName, name, SamAccountName
    # add some note property members so that all objects have the same properties
    $ou | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name UserPrincipalName -Value OU
    $ou | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name EmailAddress -Value OU
    $ou | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name GroupScope -Value OU
    $ou | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ObjectType -Value OU
    $ou | Export-Csv -Path $objectFile -NoTypeInformation

$user = Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties * | select -Property distinguishedName, name, SamAccountName, UserPrincipalName, EmailAddress
    $user | Export-Csv -Path $objectFile -NoTypeInformation -Append

$pc = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | select -Property distinguishedName, name, SamAccountName
    $pc | Export-Csv -Path $objectFile -NoTypeInformation -Append

$group = Get-ADGroup -Filter * | select -Property distinguishedName, name, SamAccountName, GroupScope
    $group | Export-Csv -Path $objectFile -NoTypeInformation -Append

The above script exports a to a csv file the OUs, users, groups, and computers.

Now – for the import –

I prompt for a new domain name, and then find and replace all necessary instances of the production domain vs the lab domain. Then I import the csv file of all of the objects...

# add a script method to the objects object to count the number of commas in the dn field name
    # this allows me to sort on the number of commas in the DN so I (hopefully) create the OUs in the correct order - for nested OUs
    $objects | Add-Member -MemberType ScriptProperty -Name OULevel -Value {$this.distinguishedName -split "," | Measure-object | select -ExpandProperty Count}

### - here is where I am stuck ###

$objects | Add-Member -MemberType ScriptMethod -Name BaseDN -Value {$i=$this.distinguishedName.IndexOf(","); $this.distinguishedName.SubString($i, $this.distinguishedName.Length - 1);} 

That doesn't seem to work. I keep getting "Exception Calling BaseDN with "0" arguments: Exception calling "Substring" with 2 arguments.: Index and length must refer to a location within the string"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
    sb

Profile photo of Sam Boutros
    Sam Boutros
    Participant

My initial suggestion is to use XML to store and manipulate complex data types as opposed to CSV, as in using Export-Clixml and Import-Clixml
    I gather the intent is to migrate user, group, computer objects from one forest to another, preserving the group memberships. Any other requirements?
    Is ADMT an option?

Profile photo of stephenmbell
    stephenmbell
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I will check out XML and see if it makes any of my issue different. But – my issue isn't with the CSV. I am able to export it and import it without any issue.

One of the properties I am exporting is distinguished name. So for example – I export OU=New Computers,DC=mydomain,DC=local. I want to create this OU based on the path – so I want to remove the OU=New Computers, from the DN leaving me with DC=stewartsshops,DC=local for the path parameter to New-ADOrganizationalUnit.

I have tried using -replace with my splatting. I have tried making a script property and a script method. Something just isn't jiving.

I am doing this to play around with AD FS for Office 365.

Thanks again
    sb

Profile photo of Sam Boutros
    Sam Boutros
    Participant

The replace method should just work like:

# Replace all example:
    #
    $SearchFor = "mydomain"
    $ReplaceWith = "stewartsshops"
    [string]$DN = "OU=bl1 1,OU=mydomain,OU=New Computers,DC=mydomain,DC=local."
    #
    [string]$newDN = $DN.Replace($SearchFor,$ReplaceWith)
    Write-Output "   DN == $DN"
    Write-Output "newDN == $newDN"

Output will look like:

DN => OU=bl1 1,OU=mydomain,OU=New Computers,DC=mydomain,DC=local.
    newDN => OU=bl1 1,OU=stewartsshops,OU=New Computers,DC=stewartsshops,DC=local.

note that all occurrences of the $Searchfor substring have been replaced
    However, if you need to replace substring at a specific level and not thoughout the entire string, Try this:

# Replace a spcific level example:
    #
    $SearchFor = "mydomain"
    $ReplaceWith = "stewartsshops"
    $Level = 2
    [string]$DN = "OU=bl1 1,OU=mydomain,OU=New Computers,DC=mydomain,DC=local."
    # break out the input string into array to facilitate text manipulation
    [array]$Pieces = $DN.Split(",")
    # Replace the text at the given level only
    $TargetLevel = $Pieces[$Pieces.Length-$Level]
    $newTargetLevel = $TargetLevel.Replace($SearchFor,$ReplaceWith)
    # re-assemble the string back
    [string]$newDN = $null
    foreach ($Piece in $Pieces) {
        if ($Piece -eq $TargetLevel) { $newDN += "$newTargetLevel," } else { $newDN += "$Piece," }
    }
    # remove last comma
    $newDN = $newDN.Substring(0,$newDN.Length -1)
    #
    Write-Output "   DN == $DN"
    Write-Output "newDN == $newDN"

output will look like:

DN == OU=bl1 1,OU=mydomain,OU=New Computers,DC=mydomain,DC=local.
    newDN == OU=bl1 1,OU=mydomain,OU=New Computers,DC=stewartsshops,DC=local.

here, only substring occurrence at the specified level 2 has been replaced

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.