Help with exception.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of C Vue
    C Vue
    Participant

I'm creating a script to update active directory. How would I go about putting a exception on the code if the attribute "department" has no data or is blank in the csv file?

Import-CSV $importfile | ForEach-Object{
    $samaccountname = $_.sAMAccountName.ToLower()
    $department = $_.department
    $phone = $_.Phone
    $emailAddress = $_.emailAddress
    $manager = $_.manager.ToLower()

Try {
    $exists = Get-ADUser -LDAPFilter "(sAMAccountName=$samaccountname)"
    }
    Catch
    {
    write-host "Users did not exist."
    }
    If ($exists)
    {

If ($department)
    {
    Set-ADUser -Identity $samaccountname -department $department
    }

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

To produce your own errors in a script, you can either use Write-Error (for nonterminating errors) or throw (for terminating errors); which one you use depends on whether you want the whole pipeline to abort or not. In this case, the answer is probably "not", so you can continue to process other users, so you'd do something like this:

Import-CSV $importfile | ForEach-Object{
        $samaccountname = $_.sAMAccountName.ToLower()
        $department = $_.department
        $phone = $_.Phone
        $emailAddress = $_.emailAddress
        $manager = $_.manager.ToLower()

if (-not $department)
        {
            Write-Error "User $samaccountname has no department value in the CSV file."
            return
        }

# etc.
    }

Using the return keyword may look a little bit odd here, but that's how you move into the next input object in a ForEach-Object loop. (This is just like the Process block of a function, in that regard.)

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Dave, why did you use 'return' there? I'd typically use 'continue'. Is using 'return' better?

Dave Wyatt

You would use 'continue' if you're in a foreach ($thing in $things) loop, but when you're in a pipeline with ForEach-Object, using 'continue' or 'break' makes funny things happen. (Usually, it aborts your whole script, unless there happens to be a loop or switch statement in play farther up the call stack which can process those keywords.)

Adam Bertram
    Participant

Ah, guess I'm used to using the foreach statement rather than ForEach-Object.

Dave Wyatt

Yep, if you've already got a collection in memory, that's the way to go. The pipeline has its advantages, though; namely streaming objects so you can process very large data sets without running into OutOfMemory exceptions.

Adam Bertram
    Participant

That seemingly is the ONLY advantage. In my experience, it's always slower than other methods.

Dave Wyatt

True. 🙂 Though you can accomplish some pretty impressive speeds using filters, depending on what you're doing, and still keep memory usage down.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.