Help with get-aduser pipeline

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jrcochranusa jrcochranusa 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jrcochranusa
    jrcochranusa
    Participant

This works fine when the manager is in the same domain as the user, but what if I don't know what domain the manager will be in?

Get-ADUser $user -Properties manager | select samAccountName,@{n='manager';e={(get-aduser -Properties mailnickName $_.manager).mailNickName}}

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Not a whole bunch you can do about that, if you flat-out don't know what domain they're in at the time. You need to be able to tell the command what domain to query.

Profile photo of Jeremy Murrah
    Jeremy Murrah
    Participant

The manager field output should be a distinguished name, so you could do some string manipulation to get the domain from there. For ease of use I'd write a function called get-domainfromDn. Then your select scriptblock could be

{get-aduser -properties mail nickname -identity $_.manager - server $(get-domainfromDn $_.manager) } 

Assuming your credentials are good for the other domain it should work.

jrcochranusa
    Participant

Good idea... I'll give that a whirl!

~jrc

jrcochranusa
    Participant

Easier solution and I hate to do it because I prefer to stay native, but I have other work to do! The Quest snap-in recognizes the domain of the object for which the property you are trying to retrieve.

get-qaduser testmtwain -service mydomain.com | select @{n='manager';e={(get-qaduser -Properties mailnickName $_.manager).mailNickName}}

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.