Help with module do connect to Exchange On Premise

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ronnie Jorgensen Ronnie Jorgensen 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ronnie Jorgensen
    Ronnie Jorgensen
    Participant

Hi all,

I might be doing this all wrong but i wanted to try to create a module that i could load and then quickly running Connect-Onprem -username X -Server X to connect to my local exchange server. Now it does connect to local exchange but i think because it is in a function once the function has run it remembers no Exchange commands. Please help

function Connect-OnPrem {
    [CmdLetBinding()]
    Param(
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
    [string]$Username,

[string]$server
    )

$UserCredential = Get-Credential -UserName $Username -Message "Please enter the credentials for On-Premise Exchange."
    $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri "http://$Server/PowerShell" -Authentication Kerberos -Credential $UserCredential
    Import-PSSession $Session
    }

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yeah, it's because when $session goes out of scope, the session itself no longer exists, and so anything imported from that session no longer exists. You'd need to create that as a $global:session, which is probably one of the few instances where that's the right thing to do.

Ronnie Jorgensen
    Participant

Hi Don,

I am sure i am doing something wrong, but the below did not work either. i used $global:Session as you can see. still i get no Exchange commands

function Connect-OnPrem {
    [CmdLetBinding()]
    Param(
    [string]$Username,

[string]$server
    )

$UserCredential = Get-Credential -UserName $Username -Message "Please enter the credentials for On-Premise Exchange."
    $global:Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri "http://$Server/PowerShell" -Authentication Kerberos -Credential $UserCredential
    Import-PSSession $Session
    }
    Ronnie Jorgensen
    Participant

Someone asked me to try changing to this

Import-Module (Import-PSSession $Session -AllowClobber) -Global

Now it works. why does this work?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.