help with outlook automation

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

by taboc741 at 2013-02-14 06:18:55

While it is not my preferred method of accomplishing this goal, I have been tasked with creating and maintaining outlook contact groups automatically from a a SharePoint list. While I would prefer to to this directly to exchange write access have been restricted and my request to gain access has been denied. Currently we are planning on having CSV's of the lists of people be imported to the machine and from there we'd prefer the script to compare and add/remove. I my self have only started working with PowerShell (my first scripting language) and currently consider myself quite the newbie at it and to scripting/programming in general.
    I'm not necessarily looking for someone to just give me the script but all I find when looking for help is how to add people to exchange to do this, something that is not an option as I can't get write access to ad or exchange.

by DonJ at 2013-02-15 12:52:33

So you're asking if there's a way to globally update users' personal, locally stored Outlook mailing lists? No, not really. I mean, it's physically possible, I suppose, but you're going to run into an extreme number of challenges and likely never get it to work. The right answer is to do this in Exchange. If your company won't let you, then you probably won't be able to accomplish this. If updating the central lists isn't an option, then you can't do it.

by taboc741 at 2013-02-18 08:26:25

no, just one machine's local outlook, not all of the companies.

by Helmto108 at 2013-02-21 13:53:54

Hi, you have a SharePoint group listing of contacts, and you would like to devise a script to evaluate the current configuration of the group on the user's Outlook profile and add/remove people as necessary? I agree with DonJ, this may not work, or it will take a lot of work to do this. If you wanted to try, you'll need to work the Outlook COM Object in PowerShell.

However, you stated this was a list in SharePoint? SharePoint Online for O365 has a feature built into it to directly add SPO lists to Outlook. (Also, if it is an SPO List, you'd need SPO admin perms, not Exchange.)

See if this helps you out at all:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/share ... 81295.aspx
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/fo ... spx#333673

Hope this helps!

by simark at 2013-03-19 10:50:42

Hi taboc741,

Please break it down to a more detailed level.
    What exactly you want to export from SharePoint? You want to retrieve users that are members of a certain group? You have already completed the SharePoint export?
    What do you mean by: [quote]and from there we'd prefer the script to compare and add/remove[/quote]

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.