Help with powershell script to fetch multistrings

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alexander Johansson Alexander Johansson 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Brian Petersen
    Brian Petersen
    Participant

Hi,

I have made a powershell script, which does some add/delete things locally on a client with MS onedrive problems. Please see the script attached.
    I succesfull tested the script on my own client and that fine, but now i found out that the local sync location path is different and uses different locations and pathnames on all company clients and therefore i need to add some code to my script which does the following:

1) Read the following stringdata regkey

[i]Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation
    Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
    Data: C:\Users\dfbdp\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S[/i]

2) Insert this datavalue (path of folder) into the "Move-Item "C:\Users\$env:username\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S" "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"...
    in the script so i basicly read the location path from the regdatabase instead.

I have tried to solve this problem my selv with the Get-RegistryKey etc but have not been able to make it work.

I am not that skilled in this, so can anyone help me?

Best regards
    BDP

Profile photo of Alexander Johansson
    Alexander Johansson
    Participant

If you type in this:

Set-Location -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation"

What do you get then?

Best regards Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

I am not that skilled, so i dont quite follow you. Where do i insert this? into the script or?

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Execute it from a Powershell console with elevated privileges.

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Ok i get this:

[b]PS C:\Users\dfbdp> Set-Location -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation"
    Set-Location : Cannot find path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-Location -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSy ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: [HKCU:\Software\...entDiskLocation:String] [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand[/b]

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Ok, then change the path to "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet" instead.
    What is returned now?

/Alexander

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Also I would like to suggest that you try this command and tell me what you get in return:

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation"

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Returns this:

[b]PS HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet> [/b]

Brian Petersen
    Participant

The Get-Item... returns this:

[b]Get-ItemProperty : Cannot find path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\LocalSyncClientDiskLocation' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet\Loc ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: [HKCU:\Software\...entDiskLocation:String] [Get-ItemProperty], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemPropertyCommand[/b]

and the Get-Item ... without "LocalSyncClientDiskLocation" returns this:

UseRWHlinkNavigation : mailto:aer@axcess.dk
    UseRWOSHlinkNavigation : 0
    UseOnlineContent : 2
    LcfemCleanShutdown : 0
    DoNotCheckIfWordIsDefaultHTMLEditor : 1
    LocalSyncClientDiskLocation : {C:\Users\dfbdp\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S}
    PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet
    PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
    PSChildName : Internet
    PSDrive : HKCU
    PSProvider : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry

——————-

Where i can see the line i need in LocalSyncClientDiskLocation : {C:\Users\dfbdp\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S}

🙂

what then?

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Ok, now try the following command:

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet" | Select-Object  -ExpandProperty LocalSyncClientDiskLocation

Alternatively this:

(Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet").LocalSyncClientDiskLocation

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

It returns:

[b]C:\Users\dfbdp\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S[/b]

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Thats great, now you got the path that you want!
    Do you require any further assistance?

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Yes, how do i insert this path into the script then?

into this line marked bold: Move-Item "[b]C:\Users\$env:username\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S[/b]" "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

There is a couple of ways you could do it, I would recommend you to try the following:

$sourcePath = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet").LocalSyncClientDiskLocation
    Move-Item -Path "C:\Users\$env:username\$sourcePath" -Destination "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Hi Alexander,

Ok, i will test this right now and reply on the results asap. Thx

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

I need to correct a mistake from my side though.

You would like to try this instead:

$sourcePath = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Internet").LocalSyncClientDiskLocation
    Move-Item -Path $sourcePath -Destination "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"

Since it returns the full path. Sorry!

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Hi Alxeander,

It does not work, but as i read it the exampel you made does this, right?:

Move-Item -Path "C:\Users\$env:username\[b]C:\Users\dfbdp\OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S[/b]" -Destination "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"

Should it not be like this or:

Move-Item -Path "[b]$sourcePath[/b]" -Destination "C:\Users\$env:username\Desktop\Onedrive_Backup"

?

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

Read my latest answer 🙂

/Alexander

Brian Petersen
    Participant

Hi alexander.

I allmost there. 🙂
    It works, but when i test the script it maked a new folder called "OneDrive – Danske Fragtmænd A-S 1" with a 1 number at the end... and i cant figure out why this is happening.. I will test some more and get back to you.
    Thank you so much for your help until now.

Alexander Johansson
    Participant

No problem, if you need further assistance you know where to find me!

/Alexander

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.