I need to create an XML file that contains this line into it;

<Arguments>$(Arg0) $(Arg1) $(Arg2)</Arguments>

my script creates the file like so;

$xmlContent = @”

“@

out-file -filepath c:\temp\test.xml -inputobject $xmlContent

when I run it, I get the message;

ERROR: Arg0 : The term ‘Arg0’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
      ERROR: included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

so my question: how can I put that line into a here-string to be able to successfully create my file? What is the correct syntax?

thanks!

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 842
      Helping Hand

These are arguments to a function that you’re not showing us? I’m guessing that would be like:

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by js.
      • This reply was modified 2 months ago by js.
      Participant
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 1776
      Helping Hand

js is taking a guess, but what is $arg or $args? You need to be careful as ‘args’ is a Powershell keyword. Are the arguments you are inputting space delimited? Here are two methods, which using method 2 is better as you will get errors if the XML is malformed vs method 1 is just manipulating it as text:

Participant
      Topics: 26
      Replies: 41

well, this was a facepalm moment.

i created my here-string with a single-quote instead of double-quote and it works as expected now. sorry to have bothered you.

$hereString = @’

some text…

more text

‘@

Note: it’s funny though to see that you totally missed the point by automatically assuming i was passing arguments to a script when I only tried to write the entire here-string to a file. 😉

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Kardock.
      Participant
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 1776
      Helping Hand

Unfortunately, assumptions need to be made when only a portion of the code is provided. The error posted indicates the $arg0 variable is not defined and that variable definition was not provided in the post and your provided example has double qoutes. Glad you figured out the issue.

js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 842
      Helping Hand

I don’t see how that could possibly work. Is that run through Azure or something?

Participant
      Topics: 26
      Replies: 41

works like a charm!

$xmlFileContent = @'<br />&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?&gt;<br />&lt;Task version="1.6" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task"&gt;<br />&lt;RegistrationInfo&gt;<br />&lt;Author&gt;xxxxx&lt;/Author&gt;<br />&lt;Description&gt;Register this computer if the computer is already joined to an Active Directory domain.&lt;/Description&gt;<br />&lt;URI&gt;\Microsoft\Windows\Workplace Join\Automatic-Device-Join-VPN&lt;/URI&gt;<br />&lt;SecurityDescriptor&gt;D:AI(A;;FA;;;NS)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;ID;FA;;;BA)(A;ID;GRGX;;;AU)&lt;/SecurityDescriptor&gt;<br />&lt;/RegistrationInfo&gt;<br />&lt;Triggers&gt;<br />&lt;SessionStateChangeTrigger&gt;<br />&lt;Enabled&gt;true&lt;/Enabled&gt;<br />&lt;StateChange&gt;SessionLock&lt;/StateChange&gt;<br />&lt;/SessionStateChangeTrigger&gt;<br />&lt;/Triggers&gt;<br />&lt;Principals&gt;<br />&lt;Principal id="LocalSystem"&gt;<br />&lt;UserId&gt;S-1-5-18&lt;/UserId&gt;<br />&lt;RunLevel&gt;HighestAvailable&lt;/RunLevel&gt;<br />&lt;/Principal&gt;<br />&lt;/Principals&gt;<br />&lt;Settings&gt;<br />&lt;MultipleInstancesPolicy&gt;IgnoreNew&lt;/MultipleInstancesPolicy&gt;<br />&lt;DisallowStartIfOnBatteries&gt;false&lt;/DisallowStartIfOnBatteries&gt;<br />&lt;StopIfGoingOnBatteries&gt;false&lt;/StopIfGoingOnBatteries&gt;<br />&lt;AllowHardTerminate&gt;true&lt;/AllowHardTerminate&gt;<br />&lt;StartWhenAvailable&gt;false&lt;/StartWhenAvailable&gt;<br />&lt;RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable&gt;true&lt;/RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable&gt;<br />&lt;IdleSettings&gt;<br />&lt;StopOnIdleEnd&gt;true&lt;/StopOnIdleEnd&gt;<br />&lt;RestartOnIdle&gt;false&lt;/RestartOnIdle&gt;<br />&lt;/IdleSettings&gt;<br />&lt;AllowStartOnDemand&gt;true&lt;/AllowStartOnDemand&gt;<br />&lt;Enabled&gt;true&lt;/Enabled&gt;<br />&lt;Hidden&gt;false&lt;/Hidden&gt;<br />&lt;RunOnlyIfIdle&gt;false&lt;/RunOnlyIfIdle&gt;<br />&lt;DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession&gt;false&lt;/DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession&gt;<br />&lt;UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine&gt;true&lt;/UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine&gt;<br />&lt;WakeToRun&gt;false&lt;/WakeToRun&gt;<br />&lt;ExecutionTimeLimit&gt;PT5M&lt;/ExecutionTimeLimit&gt;<br />&lt;Priority&gt;7&lt;/Priority&gt;<br />&lt;/Settings&gt;<br />&lt;Actions Context="LocalSystem"&gt;<br />&lt;Exec&gt;<br />&lt;Command&gt;%SystemRoot%\System32\dsregcmd.exe&lt;/Command&gt;<br />&lt;Arguments&gt;$(Arg0) $(Arg1) $(Arg2)&lt;/Arguments&gt;<br />&lt;/Exec&gt;<br />&lt;/Actions&gt;<br />&lt;/Task&gt;<br />'@<br />Out-File -FilePath c:\temp\azurejoin.xml -InputObject $xmlFileContent

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.