$host.ui.promptforchoice Console GUI box

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jennyfer Rusnak Jennyfer Rusnak 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jennyfer Rusnak
    Jennyfer Rusnak
    Participant

I have the following code:

$t = "Location"
    $msg = "What location?"
    $CFT = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&A choice 1", "1"
    $CON = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&B choice 2", "2"
    $ELP = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&C choice 3", "3"
    $options = [System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription[]]($CFT, $CON, $ELP)
    $result = $host.ui.PromptForChoice($t, $msg, $options, 1)

When I run this code in ISE, I get a GUI prompt with buttons to press for the choices.
    When I run this in the console, I get a text prompt.
    I've been searching online to see how I can get the console to give the GUI prompt and all I have found is this:
    "The $host.ui.prompt like the name says, is specific to the host implementation. PowerGui have impemented a custom host / prompt which is GUI based. The default prompt on the console is the text one that you see."
    When I run $host.ui on each (ISE and console) I see the same output.
    Is there a way to temporarily change the console to use the UI that will prompt with the GUI when I run this script?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The host application is responsible for implementing the prompt; the console does not do a dialog, and there's no way to make it. It implements everything as text, including prompts and progress bars.

You'd need to go with a complete alternative, such as using the .NET Visual Basic MsgBox function. Of course, you don't get granular control over the buttons with that – so the other alternative is to use Windows Forms or WPF to build a dialog from scratch.

Profile photo of Jennyfer Rusnak
    Jennyfer Rusnak
    Participant

OK thanks, I'll check that out or stick with the text prompt.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.