How can I redirect standard I/O of a process created by another process

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sahoo Sahoo 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sahoo

I have started a process using System.Diagnostics.Process::start() with redirected stdi/o. This process creates another process. I want to redirect the stdi/o of the second process in powershell.

Here is a sample code in which i am running a perl script from cmd.exe process created using System.Diagnostics.Process::start(). I want to see the output of the perl script in the log file as well as send key strokes to the perl interpreter.

Powershell script:

$LogFilePath = ((get-location).ToString() + "\Log.txt");
    "test stdio redirection of child process" > $LogFilePath;
    $cmdProcess = New-Object System.Diagnostics.Process;
    $cmdProcess.StartInfo.FileName = "cmd.exe"
    $cmdProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = $false;
    $cmdProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardInput = $true;
    $cmdProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = $true;
    $cmdProcess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardError = $true;
    Register-ObjectEvent $cmdProcess ErrorDataReceived -SourceIdentifier "cmdProcess.ErrorDataReceived" -Action { if(![string]::IsNullOrEmpty($EventArgs.Data)) { $EventArgs.Data | Add-Content $global:LogFilePath } }
    Register-ObjectEvent $cmdProcess OutputDataReceived -SourceIdentifier "cmdProcess.OutputDataReceived" -Action { if(![string]::IsNullOrEmpty($EventArgs.Data)) { $EventArgs.Data | Add-Content $global:LogFilePath } }
    Start-Sleep -s 2 ;
    Start-Sleep -s 2 ;
    Start-Sleep -s 2 ;
    $cmdProcess.StandardInput.WriteLine("D:\batch_files\CC_Automation\test\") ;

print "Hello\n";
    print "press Enter key to exit";
    $key = ;

test stdio redirection of child process
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

So you're launching Process A, but it in turn is launching Process B? Then it would be up to Process A to capture or redirect the output of Process B. There's no way for PowerShell to sub-capture if Process A isn't doing it.

Profile photo of Sahoo

Yeah, Process B is launching its "conhost.exe" which is i guess the console process to display the output. However there is something like this in "C" in "". I was wondering if same thing can be done in powershell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.