How do I capture errors and assign to variable?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Westerlund Robert Westerlund 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GS
    GS
    Participant

Hello,

Response from Receive-Job contains some errors and I want to capture those in variable for some reason those are missing from variable but do output to screen when required. Example is below. I'd like $resp variable to contain error message as well, not only "Server1 processing finished"

PS C:\Users\admin>> $Sender | Receive-Job -Keep
    The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand
    + PSComputerName : localhost

Server1 Processing finished

PS C:\Users\admin>> $resp = ($Sender | Receive-Job -Keep)
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

PS C:\Users\admin>> $resp
    Server1 Processing finished

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

use Get-Job to get the job object, and pipe it to Get-Member. You should see properties of the job object that provide access to the various pipelines.

Keep in mind that in PowerShell, error messages are never part of the "main" output – and Remoting only captures the "main" output. Errors, warnings, and so on have their own pipelines, or channels. They're not always capturable with Remoting.

Profile photo of GS
    GS
    Participant

Thanks.
    For anybody having the same issue following will capture error stream as well

($Sender | Receive-Job 2>&1)

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

And just to clarify what that's doing: It's taking the error pipeline (#2) and redirecting it into the main output pipeline (#1), mingling the two.

Profile photo of GS
    GS
    Participant

For some reason does not work for me

PS C:\Users\admin>> Receive-Job 661 -Keep -ErrorVariable $RemoteErr

Server1 finished

PS C:\Users\gsuvalian>> $RemoteErr -eq $null
    True

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

ErrorVariable and ErrorAction seem to work with Receive-Job just like any other cmdlet (though this test was running a local job, not remote. I don't have another computer up on my home network at the moment for a full test.)

$job = Start-Job -ScriptBlock { Write-Error "This is an error."; Write-Output "This is output." }
    $null = $job | Wait-Job
    $output = $job | Receive-Job -Keep -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable remoteErrors

$remoteErrors.Count
    $remoteErrors[0]

Profile photo of Robert Westerlund
    Robert Westerlund
    Participant

You should remove the '$' character from the '-ErrorVariable' parameter. Your code should probably be:

Receive-Job -ID 661 -Keep -ErrorVariable RemoteErr
    $RemoteErr -eq $null

You can read more about it if you run

Get-Help about_CommonParameters

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.