How do I set Powershell cmdlet versions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Frank Tucker 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

figueroa2david
    Participant

I'm developing a module for some inhouse processes, and I've followed 'best practices' etc.. I've created my .psd1 file (no ps1xml yet).. but then I run get-command -module none of the cmdlets have any version numbers.. they all just have 0.0 listed. I've been searching around, and I can't seem to find any information on how to set these?
    (example output with changed names)

PS C:\> Get-Command -Module MyModuleName

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source       
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------       
    Function        Invoke-MyFunction			                       0.0        MyModuleName 
    Function        Export-MyInformation		                       0.0        MyModuleName 
    Function        ConvertTo-MyOtherInfoType 		                   0.0        MyModuleName

Thanks,

David F.

Frank Tucker
    Participant

You need a manifest file for the modules. psd1 the xml file is for formatting.

# Version number of this module.
    ModuleVersion = '1.0'

The best way to learn about a manifest file a drink the Mr. Jones Cool Aid and watch "Don Jones tool making video 1-3" on the powershell.org youtube channel. Plus purchase the book.

figueroa2david
    Participant

Thanks!

I had created the PSD1 file with New-ModuleManifest, but I must have missed the module version number. I will check the videos.. Have multiple books of Don's, took his combined class (completely worth it.. best professional class I've taken).

David F.

Frank Tucker
    Participant

I think Mr. Jones goes over the manifest and xml format stuff in video 3. You can also just go to powershellgallery.com and look at someones manifest under "File List"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.