How do I show the properties of a Property?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A How do I show the properties of a Property?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 115
    Replies: 244

I'm trying to put a script together and need to get at a property that is inside another property.

Get-

DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName contoso.com -ComputerName DNSServer -RRType txt -Name _dmarc |GM

...and I see

RecordData                Property   CimInstance#Instance RecordData {get;set;} 

..but I know there's a Description field in there that I want to write to. How can I expose this and any other properties that are inside of the first level of a Property set?

thanks

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1530
    Helping Hand

I'm not able to test your particular cmdlet but usually you expand the content of a property with a Select-Object -ExpandProperty "Name Of The Property".

Participant

thanks Olaf

Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 54
    Helping Hand

You can also do this:

$foo = DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName contoso.com -ComputerName DNSServer -RRType txt -Name _dmarc
    $foo.RecordData | Get-Member

or just

$(DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName contoso.com -ComputerName DNSServer -RRType txt -Name _dmarc).RecordData | Get-Member

Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 999
    Helping Hand

One line :

((DnsServerResourceRecord -ZoneName $env:USERDNSDOMAIN -ComputerName ($(Get-ADDomainController).Name) -RRType 'A')[0]).RecordData | Get-Member

Participant

for some reason, this doesn't return what I wanted but the above two posters did have the info I was seeking. Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.