Author Posts

March 31, 2016 at 11:34 am

Hello,

I'm just starting with DSC and having hard time understanding how to properly debug/develop custom resources or in general how to test/apply DSC.
Any online guide available?

April 1, 2016 at 12:58 am

For the testing component, I have found snapshots/ checkpoints invaluable! To stably and countiuely test my custom resources.

April 1, 2016 at 2:07 am

I recently came across an excellent looking blog post Easy Debugging of PowerShell DSC for Azure Virtual Machines. This might be useful, at least for Azure VMs.

April 1, 2016 at 9:35 am

Thanks that takes care of testing but how do I effectively develop? For example if I have script resource and I'd like to debug code running inside that script resource how do I properly do that?

April 1, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Ah, I'm unable to answer to that, sorry. I believe I'm going through the same phases as you are and try catch up experience as I go primarily learning Azure ARM deployments currently. Pointers and tips are welcome.

P.S. For testing end-to-end scenarios, I came across Pester. It's not what you're looking for, but related.

April 3, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Go to github, look for xDSCResource, you'll see two helper repos that help design and write. I'm just now looking to use them to write one for my own usage, thought I might help you as well.