How to avoid Pause due to long output

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

nitheesh babu
    Participant

Hi,

This might have been asked many times but I couldnt find the thread.

Issues:
    If a command is having a very long output powershell simply hangs. Is there a bypass which I can use to avoid it during automation?

qfarm /load | out-file .\citrixload.txt
    #above is a citrix related command that gives me the entire list of servers and corresponding loads in my citrix farm, it can have 1000 plus line output. 
    #I need this result as a whole, unattended to be supplied to other functions for automation.
    #But due to the length of the result, powershell simply hangs. 

• This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  nitheesh babu.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

No, not easily. In this case, PowerShell is running Cmd.exe to run qfarm, so PowerShell isn't really in control.

Have you considered running "qfarm > output.txt" in a batch file or something first, to get the output into a file that PowerShell can simply load?

How large is the output – e.g., if you output it to a file, how large is the file?

nitheesh babu
    Participant

Thanks Don.

In my case it is a 350 line output. Powershell stops at 300 Lines.

Even CMD stops at 300 lines.

if I do qfarm /load > c:\output.txt in CMD, it is getting hung. I have to CTRL+c to exit.

It only works if I run 'qfarm /load' in CMD. Then it shows the 'Press any key when ready..." and continues if i press Enter.

nitheesh babu
    Participant

Dan,

I think I got it.

The command itself have a switch to avoid the page break.

qfarm /load /continue

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Perfect :).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.