how to bail out of a bat file

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 1 month ago.

• Author

joe
    Participant

I have several powershell script that I use to setup an test environment, to speed things up I put them all in a bat file. Everything is fine as long as each script completes with out error. Right now each script can detect if there is a problem and post an error code, that I can pipe to a file. I can also have the script exit, but the next script in the bat file will run. Does anyone know of a way to make the powershell script exit out of the bat file (so that the next script does not run)?

Thanks,

Don Jones
    Keymaster

It can't. If you're orchestrating everything with a batch file for some reason, then it's up to the batch file to detect an error code and not run the next thing.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Me... I'd have written each "PowerShell script" as a function. Then have one script that just calls the functions. Within each function, if there's a problem, throw an error. That'll raise to the calling script and, if it doesn't Catch the error, make it bomb out.

Or, I mean, do the same thing but keep it all in PowerShell. Same basic effect. When you call a script, if it throws an error and you don't handle it, you bomb.

Batch files, yuck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.