How to display a range of count values

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vikram Vijayakumar Vikram Vijayakumar 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of I Am Sir Ask Alot
    I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

I am having a serious brain fart right now and I know this is quite simple, but I just cannot for the life of me conceptualize this.

How would I show only values that fall within the range of say something like 10 through 50 in the following example:

$GetADComputersList = Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq "Computer"' -SearchBase "OU=My,DC=test,DC=domain"

$GetADComputersList.Count

I was thinking about using the range operator, but this did not work as I had intended.

Thanks for any help I can get

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Please try if below works for you.

$Result = ($GetADComputersList.Count -in 10..50)
    $Result

I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

thanks for the reply. No that did not work either. It shows False as the output

Daniel Krebs
    Participant

What is the exact output you've expect from this?

if ($GetADComputersList.Count -in 10..50)
    {
    }

Daniel Krebs
    Participant

And why are you not using Get-ADComputer?

$GetADComputersList = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=My,DC=test,DC=domain"
    if ($GetADComputersList.Count -in 10..50)
    {
    }

I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

The output I would like to see is a specified range (number) of computers that exist within OUs. I have most of my code written and it is working great, but I want to be able to choose what values I want to display. For instance, I don't want to see 0 values. Perhaps I only want to see the OUs that have between 10 to 20 computers in them.

The reason I am not using Get-ADComputer is because I am not using this script to find JUST computer objects. I am using it to also find Group, Organizational Unit, and User objects as well.

For instance, this code here works perfect, but I simply want to be able to choose a range, or a starting value so I can determine what values I want displayed:

$Object = "Computer"

$BaseOU = "OU=My,DC=test,DC=domain"

$OUProps = Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq "OrganizationalUnit"' -SearchBase $BaseOU -Properties CanonicalName, DistinguishedName, Name 

$GetCount = Foreach ($OUDN in $OUProps.DistinguishedName)
    {
        (Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq $Object' -SearchBase $OUDN).Count 
    }

$GetCount
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Thanks for the better explanation. I hope the following code works for you and produces the expected output.

$ObjectClass = "Computer"
    $BaseOU = "OU=My,DC=test,DC=domain"
    $OUs = Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq "OrganizationalUnit"' -SearchBase $BaseOU -Properties CanonicalName, DistinguishedName, Name

$Results = Foreach ($OU in $OUs)
    {
        $Count = @(Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq $ObjectClass' -SearchBase $OU.DistinguishedName).Count

$Result = Select-Object -InputObject $OU -Property CanonicalName, DistinguishedName, Name
        Add-Member -InputObject $Result -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ChildObjectCount -Value $Count
        Add-Member -InputObject $Result -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ChildObjectClass -Value $ObjectClass

Write-Output -InputObject $Result
    }

# Output objects with the ChildObjectCount within the range 10 to 50
    $Results | Where-Object { $_.ChildObjectCount -in 10..50 }

# Output objects with the ChildObjectCount greater than or equal to 10
    $Results | Where-Object { $_.ChildObjectCount -ge 10 }

I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

Yep, that worked GREAT!

Thanks

I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

Dan,

How do I get this to show ONLY "0" values as well?

I tried to use 0..0, but I am guessing the reason it did not show any values is due to the fact that there is no range between 0 and 0.

Thanks

I Am Sir Ask Alot
    Participant

Disregard, I got it

Profile photo of Vikram Vijayakumar
    Vikram Vijayakumar
    Participant

$GetADComputersList = Get-ADObject -Filter 'ObjectCategory -eq "Computer"' -SearchBase "OU=My,DC=test,DC=domain"
    $GetADComputersList | Select -First 50

Guess this is what you are looking for?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.