How to error capture a function?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jay Jones
    Jay Jones
    Participant

I have researched this and found the following method works when detecting if a file has been created successfully or not.

Function createexceldoc {
    $exceldoc = new-item -path C:\Holding -name ExcelTest3.xlsx -type file #-ea SilentlyContinue
    if($? -eq 1 )
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host " File Succesfully Created "
    Write-Host "—————————————————————"
    }
    Else
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host " Function Failed to Create File"
    Write-Host "————————————————————–"
    }
    }
    createexceldoc

I am trying to apply the same principle to a different function i have created. However i seem to be getting a false positive. Rather than giving me the appropriate message depending on if the script ran successfully or not, the error capture is returning whatever value i am checking the variable is equal to.

# Write message if script has ran succesfully or not.
    if($? -eq 0 )
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host -BackgroundColor Yellow -ForegroundColor Black " Users Succesfully Created "
    }
    Else
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host -BackgroundColor red -ForegroundColor Black " Users Failed to be Created"
    }

I think the $? special variable isn't passing the success/fail status of the function like i thought it would.

I have also tried placing the function in a variable and then passing that to the if statement wit the $LastExitCode to check the error status. This gives slightly different results in that i get the "Users Failed to be Created" message every time. Even when my script is run and ther users are created.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The $? variable only contains whether or not the previous command SAID it failed or completed successfully. It isn't really "error handling." Typically, I think checking $error[0] would be best to see the most recent error; execute $error.clear() ahead of time and then check $error.count after performing an operation. If $error.count is zero, there was no error; if it's nonzero, then $error[0] is the error record.

You can also, frankly, use Try/Catch constructs a lot more effectively than what you're doing here, I think.

Profile photo of Jay Jones
    Jay Jones
    Participant

Thanks Don, using the $error,clear() method and then checking the $error.count has provided me with the functionality i wanted.

$error.clear()

Function createexceldoc {

$exceldoc = new-item -path C:\Holding -name ExcelTest2.xlsx -type file #-ea SilentlyContinue
    if($error.count -eq 0 )
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host " File Succesfully Created "
    }
    Else
    {
    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host " Function Failed to Create File"
    }
    }

createexceldoc

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The more structural way to do this would be something like:

try {
      $exceldoc = new-item -path C:\Holding -name ExcelTest2.xlsx -type file -ea stop
    } catch {
      # didn't work, see $error[0]
    }

Using catch will suppress the error, but let you do something; if the catch block doesn't execute then there was no error.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.