How to filter, split the results of a string?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A How to filter, split the results of a string?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 0

Howdy folks, I need some help with this script:

$domains = Get-AcceptedDomain

Get-Content C:\Temp\Rules\MBX.txt|
      ForEach-Object {
      Write-Host "Checking $_ rules..." -ForegroundColor Yellow
      Get-InboxRule -mailbox $_ -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue |
      Where-Object{
      $_.ForwardTo -match "EX:/" -or
      $_.RedirectTo -match "EX:/" -or
      $_.ForwardAsAttachmentTo -match "EX:/" -and
      $domains.DomainName -ne $domain
      }
      } |
      Select MailboxOwnerId,Name,Forwardto,RedirectTo,ForwardAsAttachmentTo |
      Export-CSV C:\temp\Rules\Out_MBX-.csv -NoTypeInformation

The results come in this format:

MailboxOwnerId Name ForwardTo RedirectTo ForwardAsAttachmentTo
      Homer Simpson Springfield Rule Marge Simpson [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=1111-Marge Simpson “Bart Simpson” [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=11112-Bart Simpson] “Lisa Simpsons” [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=111113-Lisa Simpsons]

Is there a way to get the Names in the ” ” only and comma deliminter if there are more than 1 records?

So that the result would be:

ForwardTo
      Marge Simpson; Bart Simpson, Lisa Simpson

Thanks, M

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1215
      Helping Hand

not a regexecpert, but you can try this.

Select MailboxOwnerId,Name,@E={$_.ForwardTo -match '"([a-zA-Z]+)"';$Matches[1]};L='Forwardto'},RedirectTo,ForwardAsAttachmentTo

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 123
      Helping Hand

A couple of questions that need to be answered before you can apply regex successfully to this:

1. Will the names you want to find always be in the format “First Last”?
      2. Will the names ever contain punctuation or special characters like hyphens?

If (1)Yes and (2)No, then you can apply regex matching as kvprasoon recommends, but with the following changes to the regex string:

"`"[a-zA-Z]+ [a-zA-Z]+`""

This will match only strings that have the form “Alpha Alpha”.
      The backtick (`) escapes the double quotes so that they can be matched as characters and not interpreted by PowerShell. The [a-zA-Z]+ pattern matches any group of upper or lower case letters with at least one character, and it is repeated with a space in the middle so that the match will include the space between the first and last name.

If you need to account for any non-alpha characters, or the inclusion of middle initials or any variation from the “First Last” format, the regex will need to be either more complex or more general.

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 13
      Helping Hand

lol, Although not a regular approach, but my script does the job ūüėÄ

$x = '"Marge Simpson" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=1111-Marge Simpson "Bart Simpson" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=11112-Bart Simpson] "Lisa Simpsons" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=111113-Lisa Simpsons]'
      $y = $x|%{$_.split('"')}
      for ($i = 1; $i -lt $y.Length; $i++)
      { 
      $y[$i]
      $i=$i+1
      }
      Marge Simpson
      Bart Simpson
      Lisa Simpsons

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 13
      Helping Hand

ūüėÄ

$x = '"Marge Simpson" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=1111-Marge Simpson "Bart Simpson" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=11112-Bart Simpson] "Lisa Simpsons" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=111113-Lisa Simpsons]'
      $y = $x|%{$_.split('"')}
      $z= $null
      for ($i = 1; $i -lt $y.Length; $i++)
      { 
      $z += $y[$i] + ","
      $i=$i+1
      }
      Marge Simpson,Bart Simpson,Lisa Simpsons,
      js
      Participant
      Topics: 29
      Replies: 812
      Helping Hand

Note that in powershell -or and -and have EQUAL precedence, which is very unusual in a programming language.

PS /Users/js> $true -or $true -and $false  
      False
      PS /Users/js> $true -or ($true -and $false)
      True

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 123
      Helping Hand

There are a couple things you need to determine in order to do the filtering properly:

1. Will all names always be in the format “First Last”? (e.g. no middle initials)
      2. Will the names ever contain special characters? (e.g. punctuation, hyphenation)

If (1) Yes and (2) No then you should apply regex as kvprasoon suggests, but with this change to the regex string:

"`"[a-zA-Z]+ [a-zA-Z]+`""

This will match any string that is in the form of two words of only alpha characters containing at least one character and either upper or lower case, separated by a space and surrounded by double quotes, e.g.

"Alpha Beta"

Note the backtick (`) placed before the double quotes – it is used to force PowerShell to interpret the double quotes literally as characters to be matched rather than how PowerShell normally parses double quotes.
      This will not match strings that are not in double quotes, or single names/words in double quotes, or any strings containing non-alpha characters. If you need to account for special characters or other formats, the regex will need to be either more generalized or more complex. For instance, if you want to also match names that may or may not have middle initials the regex would look like:

"`"[a-zA-Z]+ [a-zA-Z]. ?[a-zA-Z]+`""

This will match strings that look like

"Alpha Beta"

or

"Alpha B. Gamma"

Specifically, the regex matches a double quote mark followed by one or more alpha characters of either case, followed by a space, maybe followed by a single alpha character, a period and a space (or maybe not), followed by one or more alpha characters of either case, followed by a double quote mark.

Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 1013
      Helping Hand

You mean this…

$UserMailData = @'
      MailboxOwnerId  Name  ForwardTo  RedirectTo  ForwardAsAttachmentTo  
      Homer Simpson  Springfield Rule  Marge Simpson [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=1111-Marge Simpson "Bart Simpson" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=11112-Bart Simpson] "Lisa Simpsons" [EX:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=111113-Lisa Simpsons]  
      '@ 
      [Regex]::Matches($UserMailData,'(")(\\?.)*?\1').Value -join ','

# Results

"Bart Simpson","Lisa Simpsons"

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to filter, split the results of a string?’ is closed to new replies.