How to pass data down the pipeline

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Curtis Smith Curtis Smith 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Miroslav
    Miroslav
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to create one liner where I can (somehow) pass computer name down the pipeline.
    This will be useful when I have a list with computers that will return me value.

Example:
    "Get-Service -computername localhost" will return
    Status Name DisplayName
    —— —- ———–

What I'm aiming is to have one more column:
    Computer Status Name DisplayName
    ——– —— —- ———–

Can you advice me, how to get that?
    I've tied with -pipelinevariable parameter, but didn't get any success.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That's difficult in a one-liner, because the object produced by Get-Service doesn't contain that information. Ergo, it doesn't exist in the pipeline. You can't "pass data through a command;" the pipeline can only contain what the most recent command ran.

You can accomplish what you want, but not with a one-liner. Why is a one-liner a fixed goal for you?

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Fun challenge. Here's what I came up with.

Get-Service -computername ((Set-Variable -name "comp" -value "localhost" -PassThru).value) | Select-Object @{Label = 'ComputerName'; Expression = {$comp}}, *
    Miroslav
    Participant

Thank you Curtis (that's for you > https://beeroverip.org/ ), however I now realize that what I want is not possible as the data do not exist.

I wanted to run is the command bellow:
    Get-VirtualSwitch -VMHost (get-content c:\hosts.txt) | where {name -like 'Cluster1_*'}

It will return only names of the filtered Switch, but not which host have it. So nothing major, but still not something that should deserves to be write in ISE (which will load the vmware snapin/module for a lot of time).

Curtis Smith
    Participant

Hey @miroslavvasilev,
    While I don't really think it's worth typing, the same concept can still be used

get-content 'D:\Temp\computers.txt' | ForEach-Object {Get-Service -ComputerName ((Set-Variable -name "comp" -value $_ -PassThru).value)} | Select-Object @{Label = 'ComputerName'; Expression = {$comp}}, *

Or in your case

get-content 'D:\Temp\computers.txt' | ForEach-Object {Get-VirtualSwitch -VMHost ((Set-Variable -name "vmhost" -value $_ -PassThru).value)} | where {name -like 'Cluster1_*'} | Select-Object @{Label = 'ComputerName'; Expression = {$vmhost}}, *
    Miroslav
    Participant

That would do the job as well, thanks.

Profile photo of Max Kozlov
    Max Kozlov
    Participant

without additional variables:

get-content 'D:\Temp\computers.txt' | ForEach-Object { Get-Service -ComputerName $_ | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ComputerName -Value $_ -PassThru }

Curtis Smith
    Participant

Ooo, that's nice @max-kozlov, good job.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.