How to retrieve Output from Remote Job

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Asrar Asrar 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Asrar
    Asrar
    Participant

Howdy...

I am trying to query a registry on several 2008 R2 machines using ICM and -asjob parameter. I use the following code

icm -computername $_ { $x = "hklm:\software\policies\citrix\ima"; write-output "$($env:computername), $($x.loadevaluator)" }

I then use, get-job | wait-job | receive-job

Is there a better way to do this.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That's what I'd probably do. What do you feel is wrong with it?

Profile photo of Asrar
      Asrar
      Participant

Is there a way that each icm session can return an object, so that I can use export-csv to format the output in a more cleaner way.

Current approach looks very bland.

Profile photo of Max Kozlov
    Max Kozlov
    Participant

you don't try to return object and you doesn't get object 🙂
    tro to use [PSCustomObject] or New-Object instead of just write-output $somearray
    the examples everywhere...

btw, Invoke-Command already return Computername as PSComputerName

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

We don't worry about "bland" in PowerShell :).

Each job that you create using Invoke-Command actually has one child job per computer. There's a parameter of Show-Job that will let you see the child jobs, in fact. So you can retrieve one "session" (child job) at a time.

The results of each job are whatever your code outputs.

icm -computername $_ { $x = "hklm:\software\policies\citrix\ima"; write-output "$($env:computername), $($x.loadevaluator)" }

Right now, you're outputting a string object, so that's what the job's results will be. If you want something "cleaner" in terms of PowerShell:

icm -computername $_ { $x = "hklm:\software\policies\citrix\ima"
     New-Object -Type PSObject -Prop @{'ComputerName'=($env:computername) ; 'LoadEvaluator' = $x.loadevaluator }
    }

That'll produce an object having two properties.

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

Start-job with a name would be easier. When you get into complex stuff like job monitoring, tracking, updating grids it'll come in handy.

Profile photo of Asrar
      Asrar
      Participant

Thank you very much, Don.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.