How to test endpoint that returns 400 Bad Request correctly

Welcome Forums Pester How to test endpoint that returns 400 Bad Request correctly

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 6

I have written a number of endpoint tests successfully with Pester, but now I need to verify that an endpoint returns Status Code 400 (Bad Request) correctly for various kinds of malformed file input.  How can I do this?  I have tried like this:

It 'Create User Spec, fail on no origin' {
      		$File = 'UserVehicleNoOrigin.json'
      		$Response = Invoke-WebRequest -Method 'POST' -URI http://localhost:5000/xxxxx -ContentType 'application/json' -InFile $File
      		$Response.StatusCode | Should -BeExactly '400'
      		$Response.Content | Should -BeExactly '1'
      	}

But Pester seems to treat any test returning 400 as a failure.  I get this output

[-] Create User Spec, fail on no origin 311ms
          WebException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
          at <ScriptBlock>, C:\Users\xxxxx\Specifications\Server\Test\UserVehicle.Tests.ps1: line 17

in red, as if it’s a test failure, and the response content is not checked.  Thanks for any guidance.

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 1215
      Helping Hand

You could test for that error.

{... } | Should -Throw -ExpectedMessage "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request"

Participant

Thank you.  That helps.  It shows the test as passing (in green), but it doesn’t check the $Response.StatusCode and $Response.Content conditions.  To show that, I’ve changed the test like this:

It 'Create User Spec, fail on no origin' {
      		{
      			$File = 'UserVehicleNoOrigin.json'
      			$Response = Invoke-WebRequest -Method 'POST' -URI http://localhost:5000/xxxxx -ContentType 'application/json' -InFile $File
      			$Response.StatusCode | Should -BeExactly '200'
      			$Response.Content | Should -BeExactly '777777'
      		} | Should -Throw -ExpectedMessage "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request."
      	}

with $Response.StatusCode and $Response.Content conditions that are not what’s expected.  The new output is like this:

[+] Create User Spec, fail on no origin 399ms

Is there a way to have those conditions still be checked?

Participant

Correction — I don’t need the $Response.StatusCode | Should -BeExactly check anymore because checking the thrown message accomplishes that, but I still need the $Response.Content | Should -BeExactly check (unless I can find a different way to test that).

Senior Moderator
        Topics: 8
        Replies: 1215
        Helping Hand

With that error being thrown, nothing gets stored in the variable. Hence the other checks cannot be done in that way. There is no content expected from a Bad request.

Participant
      Topics: 28
      Replies: 140

I believe that Invoke-WebRequest throws a terminating error so Prasoon’s suggestion should work. Otherwise, you could put a try/catch block in there and handle the error in the catch block but it’d just be simpler to test the exception directly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to test endpoint that returns 400 Bad Request correctly’ is closed to new replies.