How To Write New Checksums Files To Alternate Location

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A How To Write New Checksums Files To Alternate Location

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 4

I am using the following script to generate a checksum file for hundreds of files in several subdiretories.  The files are generated as expected in those directories. However I cannot figure out how to tell the files to be written to a different location that with their original source file. example write the files to c:\checksum\projects.

I know this will be a simple question/answer for someone that uses powershell daily.

$files = Get-childitem -Path c:\projects -recurse -include * -Exclude “*.md5”

Foreach ($file in $files)
      {
      $hash = (Get-FileHash -Path $file.fullname -Algorithm SHA256).hash
      Add-Content -Path ($file.fullname + ‘.checksum’) -Value $hash
      }

Participant
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 568
      Helping Hand

Are you wanting all the files in the same folder or are you wanting to also have their original directory structure under c:\checksum\projects?

This will dump all the checksum files in the c:\Checksum\Projects directory, so beware of name collisions.

The previous example uses a foreach statement construct which will load everything into memory. It’s very fast, but if you have a large amount of files this could be an issue. The following example changes it to utilize the pipeline.

I hope this helps

Participant
      Helping Hand

Are you wanting all the files in the same folder or are you wanting to also have their original directory structure under c:\checksum\projects?

This will dump all the checksum files in the c:\Checksum\Projects directory, so beware of name collisions.

The previous example uses a foreach statement construct which will load everything into memory. It’s very fast, but if you have a large amount of files this could be an issue. The following example changes it to utilize the pipeline.

or even

I hope this helps

Participant

Actually I should have specified that originally. The same directory structure to avoid the issue of collisions.

Participant
      Helping Hand

It’s not pretty, and I’m sure there are better ways to do it, but this works assuming the targets are on the C: drive. If not, replace C: with the appropriate letter.

or

Participant

FANTASTIC! The last example works as I needed. I really appreciate it.

One last question. Is there a way to set the date/time of the newly created checksum file to the same date/time of the original file it was created from?

Participant
      Helping Hand

I bet there is. Check this out and see what you can come up with. If you hit a snag after giving it a shot, let us know.
      https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/09/how-to-edit-timestamps-with-windows-powershell/

Participant

Thanks for all of the help.

One least question. I have everything figured out except for one item. Can you provide me an example of how to skip writing the .checksum file if it already exists?

Participant
      Helping Hand

You don’t need to check that the file matches a specific criteria or is a certain age? If not, then we can test-path like we did for the folder and only if it’s not found would we calculate the hash and write it.

or

Participant

I was over complicating it. Thank you for the quick response. Works perfectly!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.