I am missing something here - Pipeline Behaviour?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Andrew 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I am missing something obvious here I think? If I use $events.message I get the content of the message field for each event, if I try and use use it in the pipeline below I get no content from the message field when outputting to FT? Is this pipeline behaviour?

$events=Get-WinEvent -LogName 'Symantec Endpoint Protection Client'

$events | Where-Object {$_.id -eq 51} | ft @{n='datetime'; e={$_.timecreated}}, @{n='machinename'; e={$_.machinename}}, @{n='Eventid'; e={$_.id}},@{n='Level';e={$_.leveldisplayname}},message

datetime machinename Eventid Level Message
    ——– ———– ——- —– ——-
    20/07/2016 7:32:02 AM IT1234 51 Error ...

TypeName: System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader.EventLogRecord

Message NoteProperty string Message= ...

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Andrew Andrew.
    Profile photo of Edmond Yee
    Edmond Yee
    Participant

Your code works fine when I ran it against the Windows PowerShell log. Could be something weird with the Symantec log. re you running this as admin?

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

It's because the Message has a couple of blank lines at the top and you are not using Wrap in your table.

Try this

$events | Where-Object {$_.id -eq 51} | ft @{n='datetime'; e={$_.timecreated}}, @{n='machinename'; e={$_.machinename}}, @{n='Eventid'; e={$_.id}}, @{n='Level';e={$_.leveldisplayname}}, message -wrap:$true

or if you would like to get rid of the white space

With wrap

$events | Where-Object {$_.id -eq 51} | FT @{n='datetime'; e={$_.timecreated}}, @{n='machinename'; e={$_.machinename}}, @{n='Eventid'; e={$_.id}},@{n='Level';e={$_.leveldisplayname}}, @{n='message'; e={$_.message.trim()}} -wrap:$true

or without wrap

$events | Where-Object {$_.id -eq 51} | FT @{n='datetime'; e={$_.timecreated}}, @{n='machinename'; e={$_.machinename}}, @{n='Eventid'; e={$_.id}},@{n='Level';e={$_.leveldisplayname}}, @{n='message'; e={$_.message.trim()}}

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Curtis Smith Curtis Smith.
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Thanks Curtis – all good, just tested both your changes – excellent

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.