I am not able to export the out put to csv/xls file. Please help me

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  postanote 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

raghavendra
    Participant

Hi

Please find below my script. I am not able to export the output to csv/xls file. Please help me. And also i have 10 vcenters, I need this report in xls format with each VC worksheets in one excel file.

$VM = Get-Cluster test-cluster | Get-VM | `
    ForEach-Object {
    $VM = $_
    $VMview = $VM | Get-View
    $Snapshots = $VM | Get-Snapshot
    $Report = "" | Select-Object VMname,vmCreatedByUser,vmCreatedDate,ESXname,ClusterName,MemoryGB,vCPUcount,VMXname,VmdkSizeGB,DatastoreName,SnapshotCount,Owner
    $Report.VMName = $VM.name
    $Report.vmCreatedByUser = Get-VIEvent $VM | sort createdTime | select -first 1 | select UserName | % {$_.UserName.split("\")[1]}
    $Report.vmCreatedDate = Get-VIEvent $VM | sort createdTime | select -first 1 | select CreatedTime
    $Report.ESXname = $VM.VMHost
    $Report.ClusterName = ($VM | Get-Cluster).Name
    $Report.MemoryGB = $VM.MemoryMB/1024
    $Report.vCPUcount = $VM.NumCpu
    $Report.VMXname = $VM.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName.Split("/")[1]
    $Report.VmdkSizeGB = $VM.UsedSpaceGB
    $Report.DatastoreName = $VMview.Config.DatastoreUrl
    $Report.SnapshotCount = ($VM | Get-Snapshot).Count
    $Report.Owner = $VM | Get-VIPermission | Where-Object {$_.Role -like "xxxxxx*"} | select Principal | % {$_.Principal.split("\")[1]}
    Write-Output $Report
    }

Thanks
    Raghav

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Please consider enclosing your code in blocks, as indicated in the instructions, to format it. That makes it a lot easier to follow and to help ;).

You're kind of going about the custom-object creation in an odd way, but is it safe to assume that you're seeing the desired output on the screen when you run this?

postanote
    Participant

OK, the custom object issues effort notwithstanding.
    I am almost, completely baffled by what you are trying to do here.

Firstly, You are assigning the results to a variable, here...

$VM = Get-Cluster test-cluster | Get-VM | `

... and using another assignment to the same variable here:

$VM = $_

Why are you doing this?

Then have this select..

$Report = "" | Select-Object VMname,vmCreatedByUser,vmCreatedDate,ESXname,ClusterName,MemoryGB,vCPUcount,VMXname,VmdkSizeGB,DatastoreName,SnapshotCount,Owner

... you are trying to select from an empty string. This should just error.

Are you not just overwriting here vs appending?

Write-Output $Report

I mean since you are inside a loop and not using -append.

Full disclosure:
    I am not a VMWare person, I mean I have used it, but I spend my time in Hyper-V. So many of these VMW cmdlets, I've never seen, and thus, I cannot comment on them.

Yet, trying to do even the minimum of what you show here, just completely fails when I try it in my simple test VMWare environment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.