I want a shortcut to toggle a service in Win10

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A I want a shortcut to toggle a service in Win10

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Joe

Participant
8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Joe

Participant

I've been told the code I should use and reproduce it below, but have NO idea how to apply it, so I need help.

"To stop a service run the following command:
    Stop-Service ServiceName
    To start a service run the following command:
    Start-Service ServiceName

You can add that code to separate .PS1 files, or use the PowerShell editor to create your scripts."

Since I have no idea about .PS1 files, but CAN launch the Powershell editor – the second option might suit me best.
    I can launch Powershell editor – but it evaporates after a few seconds.

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

It might be worth doing some basic learning on PowerShell first, but a .ps1 file is just a text file that PowerShell regards as an executable script. You fill it with commands you want to run, and it runs them in order.

I'm afraid I doin't understand "evaporates" in terms of software, but any text editor will do.

If PowerShell's going to be part of your life, I respectfully suggest you read "Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches." It's a short, easy read, and it'll get you very much not he right track with a lot less grief.

Joe

Participant

I have experience with TRYING to write Macros and VBscript – and while I had success, it was only because I got models to adapt my needs to. I found it VERY time consuming.

I infer from your hints that if I put
    "To stop a service run the following command:
    Stop-Service ServiceName
    To start a service run the following command:
    Start-Service ServiceName"
    into a text file and save it as PS1
    I have a script that Powershell can execute.

This is where we run into the 'evaporates' problem.
    After I launch Powershell, a DOS like window open for a few seconds, then closes – Powershell 'evaporates'.
    I have no idea what is SUPPOSED to happen, but a disappeared window give me NO options to proceed.
    I hope you will take mercy on my predicament, and help me further.

I do NOT expect the Powershell is going to be 'part of my life', but since 'using Powershell' has been the only suggestion I got when asking for a shortcut to toggling ONE service, I did start reading the introduction to Powershell – that did NOT reduce my perplexity.

Participant

If you don't see powershell as part of your life then maybe you would be better sticking with native windows commands. The Sc.exe command can start and stop a service for you, and no powershell is required.

Joe

Participant

I am not fussy about the mechanism to achieve a single click toggle for one service. e.g. I would be happy with a macro or a batch file but I have never heard of an sc.exe command. If sc.exe can do what I want, I would much appreciate some detail about how to apply it.

Participant
    Joe

Participant

Well, at least I now know that sc means Service Control. The rest of that referred post is gobbledgook to me.

The topic ‘I want a shortcut to toggle a service in Win10’ is closed to new replies.