If clause... HELP

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tecina S. Tecina S. 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tecina S.
    Tecina S.
    Participant

Hello,

I'm writing a long function and the first part of it, will need to check if two separate folders exist then it proceeds to the next commands down in the function, else it creates it. Here the folders creation part :

$secondpath = New-item -Path $pathinsecondserver -name "client_$id" -ItemType Directory
    $firstpath = New-item -Path $pathinfirstserver -name "client_$id" -ItemType Directory

The newly created folders needs to be captured in variable in order to be used later in the function. How can i enclose them in a if...else clause to achieve my goal?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Tecina S. Tecina S..
    Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

if (!(test-path "somedirectory")) { new-item -Name foldername -Path somedirectory }

Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

Hi,

You have defined the path in your "New-Item" as a variable so you can use a "Test-Path" in your if statement like so:

if (-not(test-path $pathinfirstserver)) {
        $firstpath = New-item -Path $pathinfirstserver -name "client_$id" -ItemType Directory
    }

if (-not(test-path $pathinsecondserver)) {
        $secondpath = New-item -Path $pathinsecondserver -name "client_$id" -ItemType Directory
    }

>

So you will check the path and if its "not" there will create the folder otherwise it will continue to the next part of your script.

Does that help ?

Profile photo of Tecina S.
    Tecina S.
    Participant

Yes it does!!! thank you Graham Beer and Dan Potter

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.