IIS Reporting script

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

by willsteele at 2012-09-03 11:13:39

I am working on an internal script that does basic reporting on a given IIS installation. What sort of basic reporting features would you like to see in a PowerShell utility?

by DonJ at 2012-09-04 15:17:04

List of Web/FTP sites. Core config info for each – bindings, mainly, whether SSL is enabled/required. Info on the app pool a site is assigned to, including basic perf information – pool identity, worker threads, etc.

by willsteele at 2012-09-04 16:43:19

Got it. Let me start working on it. Thanks Don.

by JasonHelmick at 2012-09-04 16:53:28

Hey Will? Not to pile on but if you detect an https binding, get the expiration of the certificate is always popular. I do that one a lot. Of course, the new IIS 8 certificate store makes it easier but a report that works on 7/8 that adds that would be cool!
    Then there are the basic you probably already have on your list, individual site configuration information from get-webConfiguration like all those IIS category settings. Anyway, love to help if you need it. Looking forward to your results!

Jason

by willsteele at 2012-09-04 16:57:41

Good point Jason. I find, sadly, there aren't as many good reporting scripts/utilities for IIS as there seem like there could be. With as easy as IIS management is since 7.5/PS 2.0 it confounds me a little bit. Hopefully we can remedy this a bit. I'll throw what I come up with out her ein a bit.

by JasonHelmick at 2012-09-04 17:17:40

Agreed! There has been no good support for this...not great scripts, not great reporting. Will, let's fix that! I'm working on a new module of cmdlets...but I think using the existing WebAdministration, WMI and Provider is the best course of action for scripts. Really excited by the project!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.