Implicit remoting problem

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Brian Clanton
    Brian Clanton
    Participant

I am composing a script that will run on a domain controller (windows 2008 R2) checking OU user names but then going out to the users H: drive and checking permissions, both for the root folder and the users folder.

The share permission portion of the script, I would prefer to use Get-SMBShare as opposed to working with WmI. However, my script is running on Windows 2008, so I decided to use implicit remoting to import the modules I need from a Windows 2012 server to run the necessary commands I need.

I used this site as a guide.
    Windows PowerShell: Implicit Remoting

Here are my commands (from the desktop of the windows 2008 Server, logged on with domain admin credentials):

$session = New-PSSession -ComputerName w12-r12-01V
    invoke-command {import-module smbshare} -session $session
    Export-PSSession -Session $session -CommandName *-SMB* -OutputModule RemSMB -AllowClobber

Directory: X:\Users\administrator.XXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
    ----                -------------         ------ ----
    -a----        1/14/2017  10:03 PM             99 RemSMB.format.ps1xml
    -a----        1/14/2017  10:03 PM            576 RemSMB.psd1
    -a----        1/14/2017  10:03 PM          96492 RemSMB.psm1

Remove-PSSession -Session $session

Then, when I try to import, the invoke method portion fails.. I was successfully able to do an implicit remote using the 'activedirectory' module as the example, but 'SMBShare' module is failing.
    Is this possible with SMBSHARE module?

PS C:\Users\administrator.XXXX> Import-Module RemSMB -prefix Rem
    Cannot invoke method. Method invocation is supported only on core types in this language mode.
    At C:\Users\administrator.XXXXXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB\RemSMB.psm1:22 char:1
    + $script:WriteHost = $executionContext.InvokeCommand.GetCommand('Write ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodInvocationNotSupportedInConstrainedLanguage

Cannot invoke method. Method invocation is supported only on core types in this language mode.
    At C:\Users\administrator.XXXXXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB\RemSMB.psm1:23 char:1
    + $script:WriteWarning = $executionContext.InvokeCommand.GetCommand('Wr ...

At C:\Users\administrator.XXXXXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB\RemSMB.psm1:24 char:1
    + $script:WriteInformation = $executionContext.InvokeCommand.GetCommand ...

At C:\Users\administrator.XXXXXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB\RemSMB.psm1:25 char:1
    + $script:GetPSSession = $executionContext.InvokeCommand.GetCommand('Ge ...

At C:\Users\administrator.XXXXXXX\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\RemSMB\RemSMB.psm1:26 char:1
    + $script:NewPSSession = $executionContext.InvokeCommand.GetCommand('Ne ...

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The problem is that the objects delivered by implicit remoting aren't live. That means they lack methods, and The SMB module needs those. It's really just wrapping CIM/WMI. So it won't work well implicitly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.