Implicit remoting with PSDrive

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of James Sudbury James Sudbury 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of James Sudbury
    James Sudbury
    Participant

Consider the following scenario: I want to use implicit remoting to gain access to the ActiveDirectory module on my Domain Controller. Easily enough done:

function Use-DCSession {
        $DomainController = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest]::GetCurrentForest().RootDomain.FindDomainController().Name
        Use-RemoteModule $DomainController ActiveDirectory
    }

function Use-RemoteModule([string]$ComputerName, [string]$Module) {
        Write-Verbose "Importing $Module module from $Computername"
        $session = New-PSSession $ComputerName
        New-Variable -Name "$($Module)_Session" -Value $session -Scope Global
        Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock { import-module $args[0] } -ArgumentList $Module
        $moduleName = (Import-Module (Import-PSSession -Module $Module -AllowClobber -Session $session) -Global -PassThru).Name
        Write-Verbose "$Module imported as $moduleName"
    }

Use-DCSession

However, I do not have access to the AD: PSDrive that was created in the remote session. Is there any way to get the PSDrive injected into a session like we get with modules? I can work around it by wrapping Invoke-Commands in custom functions as below, but it is a cludge and does not integrate well.

$global:ActiveDirectory_Session = New-PSSession -ComputerName DC 

function Get-ADChildItem($Path, $session=$global:ActiveDirectory_Session) {
        Invoke-Command -Session $session -ScriptBlock { ls $args[0] } -ArgumentList $Path
    }

Get-ADChildItem "ad:\dc=AD,ad=LOCALDOMAIN" | select Name, objectClass

Expected Results:
        name           objectClass  
        ----           -----------  
        AD             domainDNS    
        Configuration  configuration
        Schema         dMD          
        ForestDnsZones domainDNS    
        DomainDnsZones domainDNS

Is there something like a "RemoteDriveProxyProvider" which would redirect standard command calls through to the remote session's drive and return the appropriate results? I'd be happy to write a custom provider if needed, but I'm not to clear on how the powershell would map to C# in this scenario.

Thanks,
    James

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Nope. Providers aren't hooked up to implicit remoting. That's because implicit remoting works by creating local proxy commands, which do all the actual remoting; a provider doesn't have a proxy construct available in the technology.

You're welcome to create one, though ;).

Profile photo of James Sudbury
    James Sudbury
    Participant

I expected that to be the answer, but I had hoped I was just missing something.

Thanks for your help. If I come up with a solution, I'll post it here.

-James

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.