Import Contact AD

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Florian Schinas Florian Schinas 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Florian Schinas
    Florian Schinas
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I want to import contacts that I have received a CSV file in our AD.
    So I made a script and edit the CSV file that any corersponde.

Here is the script:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory 
    $Users = Import-Csv -Path "D:\userslist.csv"  
    foreach ($User in $Users)  
    {  
        $OU = "OU=TestGPO,DC=coditel,DC=be"  
        $FirstName = $User.givenName 
        $LastName = $User.sn
        $DisplayName = $LastName + " " +$FirstName
        $Company = $User.company
        $Department = $User.department
        $EMail = $User.mail
        $TelephoneNumber = $User.telephoneNumber
        $Mobile = $User.mobile
        New-ADObject -type Contact -Path $OU -Name $DisplayName -DisplayName $DisplayName -GivenName $user.givenName -OtherAttributes @{'sn'=$LastName; 'company'=$company; 'department'=$departement; 'mail'=$EMail; 'telephoneNumber'=$telephoneNumber; 'mobile'=$mobile}
    }

Looks like this Excel file:

sn givenName mail Company department telephoneNumber mobile
    PANTA Sandra sandra.panta@sfrserviceclient.fr R SERVICE CLIENT SA RD Aix – Groupe 7 +33 4 00 00 00 00 +33 6 00 00 02 00

I started the script from my PC (not the AD because I have not Excel installed on it) and he created me a user / but nothing else!

Should I start the script from the server? Should I install excel on the server? Script wrong?

Thank you!

Profile photo of Mark Prior
    Mark Prior
    Participant

Are you not better off creating this through exchange if it is a contact ? something like the below

you do not need excel to read the csv file

$Contacts = "D:\userslist.csv"

Import-Csv $contacts | ForEach-Object { New-MailContact -Name $_."Name" -ExternalEmailAddress $_."Email-Address" -FirstName $_."firstname" -LastName $_."lastname" -OrganizationalUnit "OU=Contacts,OU=Users,DC=Domain,DC=Name,DC=com" -Alias $_."Alias" }

csv just needs the appropriate headers in the top row

Name, Email-Address, Firstname etc.........

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior.
    Florian Schinas
    Participant

That change if I put them in the Exchange?
    Just execute the script from the PowerShell console of the Exchange then?

I know add fields in the Exchange department, company, phone number, etc.? In your example not so I ask myself ...

The Excel should look like then? :

Lastname Firstname Email-Address Company(??) Department(??) telephoneNumber(??) mobile(??)
    PANTA Sandra sandra.panta@sfrserviceclient.fr R SERVICE CLIENT SA RD Aix – Groupe 7 +33 4 00 00 00 00 +33 6 00 00 02 00

Thanks for help in advance!

PS : Alias is use for what ? I dont need a alias .. I dont have that column in my CSV ..

Mark Prior
      Participant

from memory i do not think the new-mailcontact supports the telephone etc.., try adding using the set command at the end

$Contacts = "D:\userslist.csv"

Import-Csv $contacts | ForEach-Object { New-MailContact -Name $_."Name" -ExternalEmailAddress $_."Email-Address" -FirstName $_."firstname" -LastName $_."lastname" -OrganizationalUnit "OU=Contacts,OU=Users,DC=Domain,DC=Name,DC=com" -Alias $_."Alias" | Set-Contact -MobilePhone $_."mobile" -Department $_."Department" -Phone $_."phone" -Company $_."company"}

not tested as i do not have laptop with me today, the

$_."columnNameGoesHere"
      Florian Schinas
      Participant

I'll try that in a moment, but suddenly, you may realize why I wanted to go through the AD rather than by the Exchange?

Florian Schinas
    Participant
    Mark Prior
    Participant

looking at the error you havnt changed OU to suite your environtment,

error looks to start at charector 71 "Externalmailaddress" have you updated CSV to read correctly / have correct column headings?

i.e added alias & renamed values?

if alias is not needed just remove

-Alias $_."Alias"

from the line

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Hi Florian,
    There are a couple of code issues, but what do you mean "he created me a user / but nothing else!". When you use New-ADObject to create a contact, it just creates an AD Contact. If your AD Object is in fact being created, then you look at the Object class Attribute, it should be "Contact". This does not; however, mean you will be able to see it as a contact in an Exchange environment. To do that, you must enable it as a MailContact. The easiest way to do that is to use the Enable-MailContact Exchange cmdlet.

Script issues:
    1) You have an extra "e" in the department variable on the new-adobject cmdlet. IE $departement should be $department.
    2) GivenName is not a valid Parameter for Get-ADObject. You will need to set this value in the OtherAttributes hashtable.

Florian Schinas
      Participant

Hi Curtis,

I change what you tell me but .. No success ..
      How i can execute this script ? Copy/Past on a powershell console doesn't work ?

Edit :
      Error when i start on AD :
      New-ADObject : Cannot bind parameter 'OtherAttributes' to the target. Exception
      setting "OtherAttributes": "Object reference not set to an instance of an obje
      ct."
      At D:\Extract2.ps1:14 char:103
      + New-ADObject -type Contact -Path $OU -Name $DisplayName -DisplayName $Dis
      playName -OtherAttributes <<<< @{'sn'=$LastName; 'givenName'=$FirstName; 'comp any'=$company; 'department'=$department; 'mail'=$EMail; 'telephoneNumber'=$tele phoneNumber; 'mobile'=$mobile} + CategoryInfo : WriteError: (:) [New-ADObject], ParameterBinding Exception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory .Management.Commands.NewADObject Ty !

Florian Schinas
    Participant

Really sorry, a bit rotten morning I did not concentrate, I did not blunder!
    I will withdraw Alias. email Level I put CECEI for the column: Email-Address

Florian Schinas
    Participant

Hello,

When i run the script from the Exchange :

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Name' because it is an empty string.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [New-MailContact], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,New-MailContact

Script :

$Contacts = "\\coditel-12\Engineering\6-IT\userslist.csv"

Import-Csv $contacts | ForEach-Object { New-MailContact -Name $_."Name" -ExternalEmailAddress $_."Email-Address" -FirstName $_."firstname" -LastName $_."lastname" -OrganizationalUnit "OU=TestGPO,DC=Domain,DC=Coditel,DC=be" | Set-Contact -MobilePhone $_."mobile" -Department $_."Department" -Phone $_."phone" -Company $_."company"}

Excel :

Name lastname firstname Email-Address company Department phone mobile
    PANTA Sandra PANTA Sandra sandra.pantaleon@serviceclient.fr SERVICE CLIENT SA RD Aix – Groupe 7 +33 4 00 00 90 00 +33 6 00 00 02 78

Someone can help me ? Thank you!

Mark Prior
    Participant

Hi Florian

the script works fine, you may want to check csv file, heres a pic of the script the file and the produced contact

http://s33.photobucket.com/user/markpriorgtst/media/collection.jpg.html

Thanks

Florian Schinas
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Here the script :

$Contacts = "\\coditel-12\Engineering\6-IT\userslist.csv"

Import-Csv $contacts | ForEach-Object { New-MailContact -Name $_."Name" -ExternalEmailAddress $_."Email-Address" -FirstName $_."firstname" -LastName $_."lastname" -OrganizationalUnit "OU=TestGPO,DC=Domain,DC=Coditel,DC=be" | Set-Contact -MobilePhone $_."mobile" -Department $_."Department" -Phone $_."phone" -Company $_."company"}

Here the file excel :
    http://s50.photobucket.com/user/FlorianSchinas/media/Capture_zpst44ghaw1.jpg.html

I dont know where i'm bad ...

Here my test :
    http://s50.photobucket.com/user/FlorianSchinas/media/bug_zpsib7atlwo.jpg.html

Florian Schinas
    Participant
    Mark Prior
    Participant

sorry florian i cant see whats wrong with that, from pics shown this should be working, i can see the name column is there and populated

Florian Schinas
    Participant

The name is a fusion of two column on my excel, but i convert it on csv, so i don't think the problem can from my Excel ?
    I really want import this user soon, i don't know why don't work, is really strange !

And why my command don't show the same that you for user ??

Florian Schinas
    Participant

Ok I found the problem.
    My Excel is semicolon delimited.
    I just added -Delimiter ";" and it works!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.