Import-Module does nothing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rambog cnonline.net rambog cnonline.net 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of rambog cnonline.net
    rambog cnonline.net
    Participant

On my Windows 8.1 machine, I tried to use the get-adcomputer command but got the cmdlet unknown error. I then tried to "Import-Module ActiveDirectory" but also got nowhere. How do I correct this and how do I allow auto loading of modules when they are called? (I thought that was the default setting after version 3.0)

Below are some pertinent details:

$psversiontable

Name Value
    —- —–
    PSVersion 4.0
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.34014
    BuildVersion 6.3.9600.16394
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.2

PS C:\Users\rambo_000> import-module ActiveDirectory
    import-module : The specified module 'ActiveDirectory' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any
    module directory.
    At line:1 char:1
    + import-module ActiveDirectory
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (ActiveDirectory:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

PS C:\Users\rambo_000> $PSModuleAutoLoadingPreference
    PS C:\Users\rambo_000>

(end of shell capture...the last command $PSModuleAutoLoadingPreference does not come back with anything)

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

The ActiveDirectory module is not part of the base PowerShell installation; it's part of the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) package, which you can download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=39296 .

Profile photo of Vern Anderson
    Vern Anderson
    Participant

Or make sure you're on the domain controller logged in as an Administrator and the PowerShell console is also elevated as Administrator.

Profile photo of rambog cnonline.net
    rambog cnonline.net
    Participant

I was in as local administrator. Unfortunately, the edition of Windows 8.1 is not Pro or Enterprise so RSAT will not work 🙁

p.s. I was simply trying out the effects of get-adcomputer on my local machine to see what the results would be for osversion. When I run [environment]::OSVersion.Version from the powershell window and from the ISE, I get different results. The ISE seems to report it incorrectly and wanted to see what get-adcomputer will yield. I'll have to wait until work upgrades our machines to 8.1.

Thanks for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.