Import-Module in remoting session fails unexpectedly

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GS GS 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GS

I'm completely lost why my admin account can not use Import-Module in WinRM session
    Example is below. Also following event is being logged to PowerShell eventlog

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module Webadministration
    PS C:\Windows\system32> invoke-command localhost {Write-Output "success"; Import-module Webadministration}
    Access is denied
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand
    + PSComputerName : localhost

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Error Message = Access is denied
    Fully Qualified Error ID = System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Severity = Warning
    Host Name = ServerRemoteHost
    Host Version =
    Host ID = 7500affe-fdfc-4509-b2ea-6d7536b468fc
    Host Application = C:\Windows\system32\wsmprovhost.exe -Embedding
    Engine Version = 4.0
    Runspace ID = 9692a1c4-b8a4-4560-9c3e-7903dad52b91
    Pipeline ID = 2
    Command Name = Import-Module
    Command Type = Cmdlet
    Script Name =
    Command Path =
    Sequence Number = 19
    User = PROD\admin
    Shell ID = Microsoft.PowerShell

User Data:

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Probably a second-hop issue. If I remember correctly, the WebAdministration module immediately does some remote stuff (over COM or something) when you import it.

Profile photo of GS

I hope this is not true since it essentially means that PowerShell can not be used for administering IIS remotely out of the box

Profile photo of GS

I found the reason. $env:PSModulePath includes network location. So when I use Import-Module it tries to find if Module available from network and get access denied and stop looking after that instead of continuing with the rest of ModulePath. I don' t know if this is a bug or inteded consequence.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.