Import WIM image to WDS

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Istvan Szarka Istvan Szarka 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Hi,

I'm trying to use PowerShell to add a wim image to the WDS image store. It works with the GUI, but Import-WdsInstallImage throws me an error.

Import-WdsInstallImage -Path D:\sources\install.wim -ImageGroup 2012R2 -SkipVerify

ERROR: Import-WdsInstallImage : A target image name must be specified for this command.

I tried to define a target name with the other parameters, but nothing worked.
    My command completetly corresponds to the help file example, so I don't have a clue, I couldn't find anything on google either.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hi Istvan,

The Win2012 R2 WIM contains multiple images which you can discover using below cmdlet:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath D:\sources\install.wim

Index       : 1
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Size        : 6,902,679,015 bytes

Index       : 2
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
    Size        : 12,043,953,358 bytes

Index       : 3
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Size        : 6,878,790,813 bytes

Index       : 4
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
    Size        : 12,059,712,938 bytes

To import one the images you'll need to specify the image name inside the WIM.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Import-WdsInstallImage -Path D:\sources\install.wim -ImageGroup 2012R2 -ImageName 'Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE' -SkipVerify

I hope that helps and works for you,
    Daniel

Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Daniel!
    My next chance to try it is on monday. There may be a bug in the help file, because according to the examples there, you only have to define the Path and ImageGroup parameters.
    It should than import all images in the wim file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.