Importing CSV to get more info and append to that CSV

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bosox912 bosox912 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of bosox912
    bosox912
    Participant

I get a csv export from our HR system and I need to append the DN for the user to the csv.

I have figured out how to get the DN:

Import-Csv '.\file.csv' | foreach {Get-QADUser -FirstName $_."First Name
    " -LastName $_."Last Name" | select DN }

This exports the information on the screen.  I cannot figure out how to pipe it back to the CSV so the new information appears in the row with the other information.

I have been struggling with this for a few weeks and cannot find an answer.

Thank you

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

So, right now, all you're outputting to the pipeline is the DN, which comes from the output of Get-QADUser. To select additional information, you'd need to include those properties in your Select command. The Select command will not have access to the information from the original CSV – it will only have access to what is output by Get-QADUser.

If you need your final CSV to include information from both the original CSV, and from Get-QADUser, then a one-liner is going to be an awkward way to do that. You would be better moving to a more script-based approach.

Given that information, what's the direction, and your next question?

bosox912
    Participant

I have not worked with powershell scripts as of yet.  That does sound like the best way to go.  How would I combine the 2 in a script?

Thank you

Don Jones
    Keymaster

function Do-Whatever {

$file = Import-CSV input.csv

foreach ($line in $file) {

$result = Get-QADUser  -FirstName $line.”First Name” -LastName $line.”Last Name”

$out = @{'First Name'=$line."First Name";'Last Name'=$line."Last Name';'DN'=$result.DN

Write-Output $out

}

}

Do-Whatever | Export-CSV output.csv

Something like that, approximately. The idea is to get your input data into a variable ($line) so that it can be re-used along with other data. To create the output, I used a hashtable construct, which is simplistic but should work for you.

bosox912
    Participant

I attempted to use the sample provided, but the output file is not as expected.  I am attaching the csv file.

Here is the script code:

function Do-Whatever {

$file = Import-CSV adtest.csv

foreach ($line in $file) {

$result = Get-QADUser  -FirstName $line.”First Name” -LastName $line.”Last Name”

$out = @{‘First Name’=$line.”First Name”;’Last Name’=$line.”Last Name";'DN’=$result.DN}

Write-Output $out

}

}

Do-Whatever | Export-CSV output.csv -notype

Don Jones
    Keymaster

The hashtable isn't working, is all.

Just before Write-Output, try adding:

$obj = new-object -Type PSObject -Prop $out

And change the Write-Output line to:

Write-Output $obj

bosox912
    Participant

That seems to work!  Thank you for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.