Increase PageFile through command line without a reboot.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Deepinder Singh
    Deepinder Singh
    Participant

Hi,

I need to increase the pagefile size on a system using a command line on the fly. There are 2 options using which I can set it:

1. wmic pagefileset where name="C:\\pagefile.sys" set InitialSize=1450,MaximumSize=1450
    OR
    2. REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v PagingFiles /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "D:\pagefile.sys " /f

Both the above mentioned methods work and show the changes in the registry. However, it does not change the actual size of the pagefile on the disk until a restart. Not does it show the updated value when checking using "Get-CimInstance Win32_PageFileUsage | fl *" command.

Ideally, an increase in the page file size from the GUI does not need a reboot, when click on "Set" option.

Is there a way to refresh the pagefile size after it has been increased in the registry, without rebooting the system?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Not that I'm aware of. The GUI calls some fairly low-level APIs to make that happen, as it's an activity – processes have to be suspended, etc. It isn't just changing a configuration.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.